Nexus 5 trouble with zImage and zImage-dtb

Matt

Jul 31, 2015, 2:34:23 PM7/31/15
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Haii guys!

I previously developed some kernels, mako based (I had LG Optimus G) and now i changed the phone and i bought Nexus 5.. I couldn't be more happy with my device, but I'm curious and i like to learn, so i decided to build my own Nexus 5 kernel.. Based of stock msm kernel source.

So, i started and forked this https://github.com/android/kernel_msm to my github and did some basic commits, i changed to Linaro 4.9.4 toochain, added graphite optimizations, fixed fs/namespace.c error which happens when this kernel is build with 4.9 toolchains.. And i got my result, source built with no trouble, but i used traditional zImage instead of zImage-dtb in my AnyKernel template.. I made a flashable zip and flashed zImage.. Of course i got stuck on Google logo.. I restored twrp backup of boot partition and did some research.

I found out that Nexus 5 uses zImage-dtb because of something named device tree blob.. So, i started from scratch.. Forked kernel from link above, and this time i made some more changes.. I named my kernel and stuff, this time i tried to use LinaroMod 4.9 toolchain from https://github.com/hyper-toolchains/LinaroMod-arm-eabi-4.9 and did some changes in makefile and defconfig.. I created my defconfig, but not any changes that are supposed to cause trouble.. So this time i built zImage-dtb, looked at some other Nexus 5 custom kernels.. So, with my build script i copyed zImage-dtb as zImage in anykernel template, made flashable zip.. And it still stays stuck at Google logo with unlocked keylock symbol.

Now i really have no idea what to do, i can't find anything useful instead that i have to use zImage-dtb, but even with this it doesn't work.. So, guys, have anyone of you any idea what should i do?

By the way, this is AnyKernel template i used:
https://github.com/koush/AnyKernel

And this is my source:
https://github.com/Matthew-333/BlueMoon

With those modifications:
https://github.com/Matthew-333/BlueMoon/commits/master

I am still building with this toolchain and with this build script

I am running Xubuntu 15.04 64 bit, but i have no idea if this means anything?

So, any idea why i stay stuck at google logo? Wrong source? Wrong toolchain? Something other? Any idea where i missed?

Thanks for your help if anyone manage to help me...

Rick M

May 19, 2016, 11:20:10 AM5/19/16
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hey, I know this is a fairly old post. I wish I could help you with this problem, but I've really no idea, sorry. I've actually just signed up here to try to resolve the fs/namespace.c error. If you could please tell me how you fixed this problem. I've been messing with it forever it seems.. And searching everywhere with no luck. I would be forever grateful for any help.
Thanks!