What's goldfish kernel?

Chih-Wei

Apr 27, 2009, 5:54:33 AM4/27/09
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Hello, I saw the follow branches in kernel git repository:

korg/android-2.6.25
korg/android-2.6.27
korg/android-2.6.29
korg/android-goldfish-2.6.27
korg/android-goldfish-2.6.29
m/master

So, what are the differences between goldfish kernel and non-goldfish
kernel?
And what is the master branch?

Piethein Strengholt

May 6, 2009, 5:35:11 AM5/6/09
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Goldfish

The Android emulator runs a virtual CPU that Google calls Goldfish.
Goldfish executes ARM926T instructions and has hooks for input and
output -- such as reading key presses from or displaying video output
in the emulator. These interfaces are implemented in files specific to
the Goldfish emulator and will not be compiled into a kernel that runs
on real devices.

Chih-Wei

May 7, 2009, 2:37:58 AM5/7/09
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Thank you for the reply.

By the way, what's the status about android-2.6.29 branch?
Is it ready for use, especially for x86 target?
I just checked out korg/android-2.6.29 branch and
compiled a kernel image for testing (with same config as 2.6.27)
Many processes crashed during booting, like
servicemanager and mediaserver.

We really hope to move to 2.6.29 since the feature
modesetting inteldrmfb is very useful for x86 target.

On 5月6日, 下午5時35分, Piethein Strengholt <pietheinstrengh...@gmail.com>

Piethein Strengholt

May 7, 2009, 6:00:57 AM5/7/09
to Android Linux Kernel Development
I believe they just moved to the 2.6.29 branch. If you are interested
in Android on x86 you should also have a look at this:

http://code.google.com/p/patch-hosting-for-android-x86-support/downloads/list

Good luck.

Regards,

Piethein Strengholt

Yi Sun

May 7, 2009, 1:02:37 PM5/7/09
to android...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tested 2.6.29 on x86?

Chih-Wei

May 8, 2009, 5:05:23 AM5/8/09
to Android Linux Kernel Development
Thank you, Piethein.

Actually I'm a member of that project.
As far as we know, 2.6.29 still doesn't work for x86 target.

If anyone has successfully run 2.6.29 on x86 target,
please publish your workable configuration (plus patches, if any).
Thanks a lot!

On 5月7日, 下午6時00分, Piethein Strengholt <pietheinstrengh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I believe they just moved to the 2.6.29 branch. If you are interested
> in Android on x86 you should also have a look at this:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/patch-hosting-for-android-x86-support/downlo...

Subhajit Naha

Aug 13, 2014, 6:04:44 AM8/13/14
to android...@googlegroups.com, pietheins...@gmail.com
Any documentation on the Goldfish architecture?
I find the Goldfish audio and MTD driver codes into the staging driver in the up to date kernel.
is this the emulatir that is used when when we run our Android examples onto the eclipse+Android SDK?

Christopher Covington

Aug 20, 2014, 10:56:21 AM8/20/14
to android...@googlegroups.com, Subhajit Naha, pietheins...@gmail.com
Hi Subhajit,

On 08/13/2014 06:04 AM, Subhajit Naha wrote:
> Any documentation on the Goldfish architecture?

Here is the main documentation that I'm aware of.

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu.git/+/master/docs/GOLDFISH-VIRTUAL-HARDWARE.TXT
Regards,
Christopher

hosted by the Linux Foundation.

Enrico Menotti

Mar 13, 2017, 2:08:24 PM3/13/17
to Android Linux Kernel Development, c...@codeaurora.org
Hello,

I am a newbie to Android kernel. In particular, I am interested in emulation on a computer. I installed Android Studio and the included emulator. Now I am looking for the kernel sources; as far as I have found, I have to choose the Goldfish kernel. I had a look here:

But there are two lists of kernel, one under "Selecting a kernel" and one under "Downloading sources". How are they related? In general, how are kernels grouped?

Thank you and best regards,

Enrico Menotti

Glenn Kasten

Mar 14, 2017, 3:23:22 PM3/14/17
to Android Linux Kernel Development, c...@codeaurora.org
In section ""Selecting a kernel" choose a row based on column 1 "Device".
Then look at column 3 "Source location" and take the second component of the filename.
For example, if the filename is "kernel/foobar", then take the "foobar".
Next go to section "Downloading sources".
Select the right git clone line based on "foobar".