How Do I Save My Kernel Configuration As The Default Settings?

Dave S

Oct 3, 2014, 12:32:36 AM10/3/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How do I save my kernel configuration as the default settings when building a kernel ? I use this:
$ make menuconfig

I save the settings when asked, but how do I make them the default settings so I don't have to keep going back and setting it all up again? When I build a kernel the settings are saved, but when I build a boot.img or do a:
$ make distclean
the settings revert back to what they were originally. What am I missing? Please help.
Thanks,

Satya vara prasad

Oct 11, 2014, 2:34:26 PM10/11/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
All you need to do after saving your configuration there will be .config generated
you need to copy that .config to arch/arm/configs/somename_defconfig
then next time use your somename_defconfig for configuring kernel i.e like #make ARCH=arm  somename_defconfig
if you do this new .config file will be generated including with your own configuration
try this it will work

Thank,
Prasad.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Dave S <azpacif...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

How do I save my kernel configuration as the default settings when building a kernel ? I use this:
$ make menuconfig

I save the settings when asked, but how do I make them the default settings so I don't have to keep going back and setting it all up again? When I build a kernel the settings are saved, but when I build a boot.img or do a:
$ make distclean
the settings revert back to what they were originally. What am I missing? Please help.
Thanks,

andrew_esh

Oct 11, 2014, 11:10:44 PM10/11/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
You can copy .config from your kernel top source directory to a safe backup location. Then copy it back in after "make distclean", or after switching to a new kernel. Then you can "make oldconfig" and the settings you had will be picked back up. Any settings within a new kernel would still be prompted for, if they aren't set in the .config file.

helen.wjt

Oct 14, 2014, 10:13:19 PM10/14/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
copy .config into arch/arm/config/some_defconfig.
use $ make ARCH=arm some_defconfig.

Allan Park

Mar 11, 2015, 8:15:09 AM3/11/15
to android...@googlegroups.com

make distclean command means clean everything even .config
Also, I think your build scripts do make xxx_defconfig (overwrite your .config) during build the boot.img.

Just overwrite .config to arch/arm/config/(xxx_defconfig)

Sincerely

jpa

Mar 11, 2015, 9:24:48 PM3/11/15
to android...@googlegroups.com
> Just overwrite .config to arch/arm/config/(xxx_defconfig)
copy .config into arch/arm/config/some_defconfig.

Don't.
Use
  make savedefconfig
and copy its output (./defconfig) to the arch/$ARCH/config/xxx_defconfig

The reason being that a .config contain all the values including defaults, and values generated by dependencies.
make savedefconfig
will only store what is actually needed and different from defaults and dependencies.
Also, for Android check
 for interesting defaults.