Required Kernel Version for 64-Bit ABI

Dave Smith

Dec 18, 2014, 5:29:34 PM12/18/14
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

I was looking through some of the latest sources relating to 64-bit Android support, hoping someone who is smarter with the kernel than I am could confirm or deny something?

Does anyone know what the minimum version of the Android kernel is to properly run under 64-bit (ARM64 or x86_64)? It looks to me like the 3.10 branch is required here whereas the 3.4 branch can still be used with Lollipop on 32-bit only devices, does that seem correct?

I'm assuming a 3.10 minimum because I saw some 32-bit compat shims in the ashmem and binder driver sources. If this is case, can anyone tell me what the other major changes were to the Android drivers to properly support 64-bit user space? I'd like to compile a list of the highlights.

Thanks!
--
Dave Smith, PE
@devunwired

Allan Park

Mar 11, 2015, 8:09:30 AM3/11/15
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Dave
The nexus9(flounder) use arm64 on tegra platform.
#git clone https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/tegra.git -b android-tegra-flounder-3.10-lollipop-release
In my case i just modified the long to int(32bit long size = 4bytes, 64bit long size=8byte) in wifi-driver.

Sincerely.