A simple restart resolves the GCM notifications duplication problem...

Michael Azerhad

Apr 13, 2015, 8:23:21 PM4/13/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Many users use my Android app and receive some notifications through my architecture:  android app <------>server <-----> GCM`

Yesterday, they complained about duplicated notifications arriving on their device.
Indeed, server logs showed the duplicates providing directly from GCM.

I directly thought about the famous canonicalId mechanism that would prevent multiple registrations to cause trouble.
However, since my notification strategy makes use of a composite key User/RegistrationId, I can assert that I always use the last registrationId.

So what I simply do is to restart my server (client of GCM), and the problem magically disappears. No more duplicates !

My question is: how did my server restart impact the GCM behavior?
                         May the fact to kill the GCM connection resolve the whole?

I'm very curious,

Thanks a lot
Message has been deleted

Diego Giorgini

Apr 21, 2015, 9:27:31 AM4/21/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!

Could you provide some references (registration-id, message-id) which experienced the problem?
(Recent data would be better)

Also can you detail more your architecture?
Which API are you using? dowstream (cloud-to-device), upstream (device-to-cloud), http, xmpp, standard gcm messages, user notification messages.

Thanks
- Diego