GCM Load testing

vivek sachdeva

Nov 27, 2012, 6:54:15 PM11/27/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am able to send the notifications to the android phones without any issues in the test env.  I want to do load testing before it goes to production. I can not buy million real android devices for testing. So, what is the best way of testing such a scenario?

Thanks,

Vivek

Chandrashekhar Nelluri

Nov 28, 2012, 5:28:44 AM11/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Try to use Android emulator. It provides virtual environment for android device.

Shamsuddin

Nov 28, 2012, 10:32:25 AM11/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
wat?

Thanks & Regards,
 Shamsuddin

© 2012 Shams Mobi ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­• www.shams.mobi  beta

vivek sachdeva

Nov 28, 2012, 12:48:48 PM11/28/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response.

The emulator approach does not seem to be practical. Let's say on one machine I run 50 emulators then to test a million devices case, I still need 20000 computers/machines. Any other idea please?

Thanks

jondot

Nov 29, 2012, 3:34:48 AM11/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
You can use my library
https://github.com/jondot/cottonballs

It simulates a GCM server with failures and latency so you can check your messaging infrastructure reliability and scalability easily.

vivek sachdeva

Nov 29, 2012, 7:10:08 PM11/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but it simulates server not client.

Francesco

Nov 29, 2012, 8:58:43 PM11/29/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Vivek, what piece do you want to load test? hopefully your server...

vivek sachdeva

Dec 3, 2012, 5:51:56 PM12/3/12
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I want to simulate clients (Android phones) actually. We have millions of users using our android app so I want to test if it is really possible to push notifications to all of them.

zlang

May 11, 2016, 5:02:11 PM5/11/16
to android-gcm, dip...@gmail.com
Hello jondot.  I'm trying to use cottonballs to mock GCM.  I have it up and running and created the keys.  I’ve verified that my push service is hitting cottonballs on the SSL port when I attempt to send a push notification to GCM.  By “verified” I mean that if cottonballs is not running, I get a "Connection refused” error.  But when I do run it and try to send, I get this error:

Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I ran the genkeys.sh script that the project Readme.md says to run, but I’m guessing it’s not creating the certs correctly.  My application is running on Tomcat / JDK 8

Any ideas?

zlang

May 11, 2016, 7:14:15 PM5/11/16
to android-gcm, dip...@gmail.com
I got it working.  Had to import the certificate.cer into my JDK cacerts using keytool and restart tomcat

e.g.

sudo keytool -import -alias android.googleapis.com  -keystore /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_73.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security/cacerts -file certificate.der

Thanks for creating this great project, I hope to use it a lot!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted