Multiple SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE errors

Kenneth Corbin

Apr 9, 2015, 12:17:45 PM4/9/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is mostly a FYI.  We had a user report a problem registering with the GCM service this morning.  The included logs showed 4 consecutive attempts  to request a registration ID failed with a SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE error.  The exponential backoff retry logic worked as intentended, requests were sent between 7:10:07 and 7:10:46 Texas time.  We do not know what happened after the problem report was sent to us, presumably one of the requests eventually succeeded.

We see SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE errors in our logs all of the time, which is not terribly surprising.  But this is the first time a log has reported multiple such errors.  Your servers might have been exceptionally busy at that time, but I was wondering if this might indicate a malicious DOS attack.
Message has been deleted

Diego Giorgini

Apr 21, 2015, 9:36:24 AM4/21/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for reporting this. We do report SERVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE for short time for a variety of cases, although this should not persist or affect normal operations.
Anyway, please let us know if this is happening and affecting your services.

Thanks!
- Diego