GCM Cloud Connection Server stops sending messages to App Server after 15 minutes

Shawn Ifill

Apr 4, 2016, 6:05:59 PM4/4/16
to android-gcm

Last Wednesday (3/30/2016) we started having an issue where after about 15 minutes of connectivity from our App Server to the GCM Cloud Connection Server (CCS) we stop receiving upstream GCM messages from the CCS. We have been running this solution for 5 months without issue until 3/30/2016.

In the Flow Control section of the documentation (https://developers.google.com/cloud-messaging/ccs#flow) it states “CCS stops sending if there are too many unacknowledged messages. Therefore, the app server should "ACK" upstream messages, received from the client application via CCS, as soon as possible to maintain a constant flow of incoming messages.” We attempted to verify that it is not an ACK issue by not sending ACKs at all. This resulted in our App Server not receiving messages from the CCS in less than 1 minute (as expected). We also changed the xml elements of the ACK we send when receiving a message to match the ACK our App Server receives when sending a downstream message. This also resulted in our App Server not receiving messages from the CCS in less than 1 minute (as expected).

Does anyone know of a reason this would happen?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we need to do to resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated.

We are using Smack 4.1.4 to communicate with the CCS.

Sukret Hasdemir

Apr 5, 2016, 10:50:38 PM4/5/16
to android-gcm
Hi Shawn,

It looks like you are not sending ACK messages for some of the upstream messages. Can you check the upstream messages you are receiving and your logic for choosing which messages to send ACK for?

Shawn Ifill

Apr 5, 2016, 11:09:32 PM4/5/16
to android-gcm
Thanks for the response Sukret. I am sending an ACK back for every message I receive from the GCM Cloud Connection Server. I checked my logic and sending the ACK back is the first step after receiving the message. Also if an ACK was not being received wouldn't duplicate messages be sent?

Sukret Hasdemir

Apr 13, 2016, 8:10:16 PM4/13/16
to android-gcm
Hi Shawn,