Registration on Android device does not happen

Dom

Nov 6, 2015, 4:42:30 PM11/6/15
to android-gcm
Hello guys,
I just set up GCM by following the steps highlighted in the new cool developers website, but I'm getting this errors:

11-06 22:33:53.098 25907-25921/? I/GMPM: App measurement is starting up
11-06 22:33:53.102 25907-25921/? E/GMPM: getGoogleAppId failed with status: 10
11-06 22:33:53.103 25907-25921/? E/GMPM: Uploading is not possible. App measurement disabled

So, the registration does not happen and I don't get my tokens sent to the server.
What could it be?

Question has been also asked on SO. I'd post my manifest, but you can read it over there, since it's the same.

Thank you,
Dom

Dom

Nov 6, 2015, 4:46:05 PM11/6/15
to android-gcm
I just noted that in the generated google-services.json file, the api_key field is empty: "api_key": []. Is this the correct behavior?

Please tell me if you need additional information, I'll be happy to post more.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,
Dom

Dom

Nov 6, 2015, 6:23:16 PM11/6/15
to android-gcm
Ok, I just noticed one still has to manually start the RegistrationIntent. I wasn't doing it because, from the code in the documentation, it looked like InstanceIDListenerService would do it for me.

Anyway, registration (the important part) works good now, but there is still that error that I signaled on the first post I don't know anything about. Should I be worried about it? What does it mean?

Nadia Castelli

Dec 1, 2015, 3:34:26 PM12/1/15
to android-gcm
I don't know who you are but now you're my new best friend!!!

"Ok, I just noticed one still has to manually start the RegistrationIntent. I wasn't doing it because, from the code in the documentation, it looked like InstanceIDListenerService would do it for me."

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been fighting against a dual GCM / Appboy push notifications implementation for days... And that comment saved my life :D :D.

Regarding the error you mentioned, I'm still getting it too. I don't know why it happens nor if it's important. I think it might be produced because I'm not including the full Play Services library, instead I'm doing it modularly. I really don't know if it has to do with this.

Spundun Bhatt

Dec 3, 2015, 2:15:55 PM12/3/15
to android-gcm
Hi Dom, Nadia

The error you are seeing, seems unrelated, I think you can safely ignore it, and I'll try to follow up with people to see if we can reduce that noise.

Can you send me a link to what steps you were trying to follow, where the "RegistrationIntent" step went missing? I want to make sure we have documentation that works for all the developers.

-S