GCM Missing Messages.

Chen Zhuofei

May 4, 2015, 4:44:59 AM5/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com

We’ve meet a serious problem using GCM that less than a half message can reach to android device.

I’ve do some test on this, like below:

BackGround:

1. Our App has Millions User.

2. We have a way to check which device has login our APP.

3. We make a feedback to our server when the device received our test message.

Here’s the testing step:

1. Collect the GCM Token in the device which using our APP. (I’ve got a sample of 6600 device).

2. Push some message to these samples on 4-27-2015, 6400 successed (200 of NOT-REGIST or other error).

3. Push some message to the device which NOT received or NOT login our APP on 4-28-2015, about 5400 device, 5100 successed.

Than we got the data below:

1. We have about 4000 device login our APP between 4-27-2015 to 5-3-2015.

2. Only about 2200 device has received the FIRST PUSH msg.

3. About 1350 device received the SECOND PUSH msg, including NO.4

4. About 650 device received the SECOND PUSH msg BUT missed the FIRST PUSH msg.

That means

1. Totally count, only about 3000 device had received out testing message, there more than 1000 device had login our APP but NOT received ANY of GCM PUSH.

2. There’re many device missed part of the GCM PUSH message.

I have the GCM-TOKEN and MESSAGE-ID data below (cannot public on air).

Table 1: device login but NOT received GCM of FIRST PUSH.

Table 2: device login but NOT received GCM of SECOND PUSH.

Table 3: device received SECOND PUSH but missed FIRST PUSH.

Thanks very much.

Diego Giorgini

May 4, 2015, 5:21:22 AM5/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chen,

If I am reading your email correctly:
1) you sent 6600 messages to devices that have been active recently.
Only 2200 devices received the message.
 - Could this be caused by a short TTL set on the messages?
The messages could have expired before the devices connected to internet.
- Also the messages could have been delivered but the devices failed to report back to your server. (there could be a lot of reasons like unstable connectivity, firewalls, .. )

2) you sent 5400 messages to devices that have NOT been active recently.
Only 1350 devices received the message.
- This number looks correct to me: the rest of the devices could be off, in a drawer, or just offline.

Anyway, thanks for reporting your problem.
We will check our systems to exclude any bug happened in those dates.

Thanks,
- Diego

Chen Zhuofei

May 4, 2015, 5:45:52 AM5/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego:

I think there're some mistakes.
1) I collect the gcm-token at 4-26, that makes the sample of 6600 device.
2) I sent a test message(MSG1) to the 6600 device at the next day(4-27), 1200 device had report to our server that he had received the message at 4-28, 2200 device had report to our server until today. BUT there more than 4000 device report that he had logon our APP. That means there about 1800 device online but not receive our test message(MSG1)
3) I sent another test message to the device which NOT report to our server (5400 device) at 4-28. 1350 device had report to our server that he had received my test message 2(MSG2) until today.

Ideally,the device which received MSG2 should also received MSG1, but in fact, only 660 device has received both MSG2 & MSG1.

在 2015年5月4日星期一 UTC+8下午5:21:22,Diego Giorgini写道:

Chen Zhuofei

May 4, 2015, 6:48:03 AM5/4/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
I've grep some missing message ID:

Multitask-id:
8563895272753635300
0:1430307957354932%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957354998%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957353826%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957357012%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd

Multitask-id:
6794775071244775400
0:1430307957816883%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957808875%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957816882%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd
0:1430307957819974%1f99c30ef9fd7ecd

If you need more ID to check, I have an excel file.

在 2015年5月4日星期一 UTC+8下午5:21:22,Diego Giorgini写道:
Hi Chen,

Diego Giorgini

May 5, 2015, 4:35:33 AM5/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chen,

thanks for providing some debug information.

From our logs all the messages that you reported have been delivered and received by the devices, except one case in which the device has not been connected to internet since you sent the messages.

Most probably the devices failed to send back the feedback to your application server, due to connectivity problems (weak connection, firewall, timeout...) or applications problems.

Cheers,
- Diego

Chen Zhuofei

May 5, 2015, 10:02:44 PM5/5/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego

Thanks for helping.

One more question, “have been delivered and received by the devices” , is that mean GCM server has received the ack of devices?

在 2015年5月5日星期二 UTC+8下午4:35:33,Diego Giorgini写道:

Diego Giorgini

May 6, 2015, 3:19:45 AM5/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:02 AM Chen Zhuofei <whit...@gmail.com> wrote:
One more question, “have been delivered and received by the devices” , is that mean GCM server has received the ack of devices?

Yes.

Chen Zhuofei

May 6, 2015, 4:36:23 AM5/6/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much.
That means the GCM push is mostly arrived to the devices, but not arrived to my App... It's weird...
I suspect that my App's GCM push is block by some other App like "Clean master". Maybe we should find another way to track them...

在 2015年5月6日星期三 UTC+8下午3:19:45,Diego Giorgini写道:

Sirisha Katragadda

Jul 1, 2015, 6:08:22 AM7/1/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

In a reply top my mail you asked to use google console to track the messages.  But our app is enterprise app and is not published to play store.
So as per google documentation we can track message status only for published applications.
Our problem is some messages are getting delivered to devices and some are not. this is happening randomly.
For these we are seeing success at app server and receiving message ID. If google sent message to device what could be the reason for device not showing it to user? As user is seeing some messages in the notification bar. This behavior is observed after we upgraded the app to lollipop.

Please help.

Sirisha Katragadda

Jul 7, 2015, 1:39:56 AM7/7/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

Can you please reply to my post.
We are facing issues with notifications. for some notifications App server is sending msgs to GCM and receiving message ID's but  device is not receiving.
This is random and not able to debug as few msgs are working as expected on device. Is there any reason for this kind of behavior. At app server there is no delay_while_idle flag. so as it is by default false we assume that this is not having impact on messages being delivered.

Please help.

Sirisha Katragadda

Jul 8, 2015, 9:15:07 AM7/8/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

Can you please help me on the issue.
Below are the message ID's that are showing success in DB but device didn't receive the notifications.
one observation is app was not used since 10days. and it is an enterprise app distributed through mobileiron. It is also wrapped wiht mobile iron appconnect.

If GCM sent to device what might be the reason for device not showing up.
Below are hte messages ID's

04:46:00,820 id=0:1436258760614487%3cbb87e000364492

04:48:00,123 id=0:1436258879915424%3cbb87e000364492

04:52:00,172 id=0:1436259119938015%3cbb87e000364492
04:54:00,141 id=0:1436259239905134%3cbb87e000364492

04:56:00,176 id=0:1436259359923555%3cbb87e000364492
04:58:00,134 id=0:1436259479888832%3cbb87e000364492

05:00:00,361 id=0:1436259600106266%3cbb87e000364492

05:02:00,131 id=0:1436259719867829%3cbb87e000364492

Registration token :

APA91bGPOL-3wl21GUGakFnK1PkdvOd_CHBFNLMTEFA-QQZG2S-rViFMOKz4Nx6nXjxw-DEMwcSCaV08j1xyPkIXz9dR4Kbo59-hxO-UfPS_beR8z4rJOSJZXoid4Q1-sByaZ1qU9-AF1ZOXTTEswZJvfEz3ovhzEZE15xM94ThEAZNYvPgeA14

Thanks
Sirisha K

Diego Giorgini

Jul 13, 2015, 11:44:37 PM7/13/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sirisha,

once the messages are accepted by the GCM send API several scenarios could happen. Depending on the state of the device and the options you used when sending the message.

Please check that your logic and your usage of the GCM features is correct (example: if you use collpase_key and the device is offline, only the last message is delivered)

If you need to check what happened to your messages, you can use the GCM Diagnostic tool inside the Play Developer Console.

- Diego

Sirisha Katragadda

Jul 16, 2015, 4:18:49 AM7/16/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply.
Even when the device is online(Having active internet connection) sometimes we are not receiving notifications.
One observation is when the app is not used for long time say for one week we are seeing success at server but those notifications are not delivered to device.
we have not implemented delay_while_idle flag at server so default value( "false" ) applies. But some messages are successfully delivered to device. this is observed after upgrading our app to Android 5.0 and the app is wrapped with mobile iron appconnect now. We have not implemented any code changes related to notifications for this release. but the same code which used to work earlier is not working now :(

Thanks
Sirisha K

Sirisha Katragadda

Jul 16, 2015, 5:57:29 AM7/16/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diego,

I have observed the scenario again today . i have logged into my app on July 8th. after that i never launched it. Today i triggered notification at server which sends tot 6 msgs for every 2 mins. For first two messages it showed success with some message ID's at server DB. But i didnt receive any on device. Then i launched the app and tried to connect with my back-end server (VPN connection is established internally as the app is wrapped with mobile iron appconnect) at this point i got the third message triggered at server. please note my device is having active internet connection all this time. is there any problem with mobile iron appconnect ? we are having this doubt as the app is wrapped with appconnect for this release. i have searched so many sites for this issue and got to know delay_while_idle flag may have this impact. but as informed earlier we are not using it now. so default value false applies.
Please help me on this.