Anyone get GCM to work with Latest Lollipop Emulator?

Kenneth Corbin

Dec 3, 2014, 6:56:27 PM12/3/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
We are still using the original migrated C2DM code to implement GCM.  This has been working reliably, but recently started failing on Lollipop devices which now require an explicit intent.  Adding an
  intent.setPackage("com.google.android.gsf");
fixes the abort and get the code working on real Lollipop devices, but the code still does not work on the Lollipop emulator.  There is no response to the intent I send, whether it goes to the
com.google.android.gsf or com.google.android.gsm package.

Does this work for anyone using the latest API????

Lacking access to a real Lollipop device as yet.  I am reluctant to make major changes to this logic if I have no way to test them with a Lollipop emulator.

Bowofola Fadojutimi

Feb 8, 2015, 11:11:55 PM2/8/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
This is my first time using GCM and I did so on the Lollipop emulator and couldn't get it to work.

Costin Manolache

Feb 11, 2015, 10:36:55 AM2/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Please stop using intent.setPackage("com.google.android.gsf").

The recommended way to register is via GoogleCloudMessaging API in Google Play Services. If you
must use the register intent service directly - it should keep working, but the code in com.google.android.gsf
is ancient and buggy - all fixes and updates to GCM are implemented in Play Services package.

The 'gsf' package can't be updated - so whatever shipped on the platform will still be there and may even
work, but it is quite risky and fragile. Lollipop no longer has any GCM code in the gsf package except
a forwarding intent that redirects to the real implementation in Play Services.

A bugreport or more info about emulator variant would help figuring why emulator doesn't work.

Costin