getting started : sending message downstream to my mobile subscribers from java-based server

warcraft...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2015, 2:23:45 AM9/25/15
to android-gcm
Hi all,

I have a task to send downstream message from java-based backend to mobile clients (covering both androids and Apple). lets say I have following subscribers:
* user1 has apple and 2 androids, subscribing to JPY/USD and EUR/USD rates
* user2 has only 1 apple, subscribing to GBP/USD and EUR/USD
* user3 has 2 androids, subscribing to SGD/USD
my task is to send rates on regular basis (weekly) as follows:
* send EUR/USD latest rates to 4 devices (user1's 1 apple, user1's 2 androids and user2's apple)
* send GBP/USD latest rate to 1 device (user2's apple)
* send JPY/USD latest rate to 3 devices (user1's 1 apple and 2 androids)
* send SGD/USD latest rate to 2 devices (user3's 2 androids)
Rates are sent as notification (push notification feature).
For now, mobile devices dont need to send anything to backend, but a send status (whether the notification sending succeeds or fails) would be nice for logging and admin purposes.

so here are my questions:
1. if we have 10K+ users, each has multiple mobile devices (for now we only serve android and apple) and subscribe to multiple currencies, will it be more efficient to use CCS instead of HTTP?
2. if HTTP is enough for case #1, what do I need to do (I'm starting from scratch)? what are the components that I need to setup? register the devices? setting up endpoints?
3. if CCS is more appropriate for case #1, what do I need to do (I'm starting from scratch)? what are the components that I need to setup? register the devices? setting up endpoints?

Thanks