Google Cloud Retry-After

Alexandra Gheorghe

Apr 8, 2014, 6:32:48 AM4/8/14
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am currently developing an application using google cloud push notifications and I have a couple of questions.
I had a look at the application that you are recommending to use for sending notifications (https://code.google.com/p/gcm/source/checkout) and I noticed that there is no handling when Google Cloud sends a Retry-After header but the documentation says "Honor the Retry-After header if it's included in the response from the GCM server."
Is it really  mandatory to honor the Retry-After?

Another question I have is regarding the sending of multiple notifications at the same time (from multiple threads). For example if I send three concurrent notifications probably all of them will receive the same Retry-After header. Is there any problem with doing this? Can my application be blacklisted?

How does Retry-After mix with the specified exponential backoff delay? Do I only need to perform exponential backoff delay when not receiving the Retry-After header?

Many thanks,
Alexandra Gheorghe