ClientLogin will be shut down for GCM

Magnus Hyttsten

Mar 9, 2015, 6:44:52 PM3/9/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Please observe that we will shut down ClientLogin (http://goo.gl/d4F6SF) access for GCM in July 2015. ClientLogin was officially deprecated (http://goo.gl/JdkDWh) on April 20, 2012, and will be shut down on April 20, 2015 (http://goo.gl/DkRZwW). Only GCM users can continue to use this service until July 2015.

We understand how important it is for your to connect with your users’ Android devices, so if your server is using ClientLogin to authenticate itself and your app is currently registering with GCM without using Project Number, you will have to:

1. Update the app and register with Project Number. The app on the device will receive a new registration ID. See Getting Started (http://goo.gl/Z6cWj9) on how to obtain Project Number.

2. Once your server has received the new registration ID, the server can stop authenticating itself using ClientLogin when trying to send GCM messages to the app on the device. You can find instruction on how to send GCM push messages without ClientLogin here (http://goo.gl/muQq1Q).

Tomcat

Mar 10, 2015, 9:36:14 AM3/10/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Has GCM ever been able to register w/o Project Number?

2015年3月10日火曜日 7時44分52秒 UTC+9 Magnus Hyttsten:

Francesco

Mar 10, 2015, 2:36:39 PM3/10/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tomcat,

to clarify ClientLogin deprecation only affects C2DM users, not current GCM users.

So if you are still using the C2DM APIs with ClientLogin, be aware that after July, the calls to send messages will start to fail.

Thanks,

KoSh KoSh

Mar 11, 2015, 2:58:08 AM3/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
i'm really trying to understand Android deprecation and how they work,  like for example instead of writing new stuff and using separate stuff for everything, why Android does not just update the current implementation of everything instead of creating new stuff? i really would like to know the cons and pros behind this mechanism. P.S i'm referring to general.  in my opinion that will be good reason for developers to not bother about making changes but focus more in new making new implementations. your answer is appreciated.

Tomcat

Mar 11, 2015, 5:10:19 AM3/11/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Francesco,

Thank you for complete answer. Now I clearly understood.

2015年3月11日水曜日 3時36分39秒 UTC+9 Francesco Nerieri:

Michael Oki

Mar 16, 2015, 7:52:32 AM3/16/15
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update.