New Gerrit servers, some practical details

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 11, 2012, 11:29:28 PM1/11/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
You've probably seen Dan's announcement earlier: AOSP has a Gerrit server again.

You'll note that it's really beta quality at this point.

Here are a few notes:

-For now, only the master manifest is configured to allow uploads at
all. Also, you need a very recent manifest, so be sure to sync before
you attempt any upload. If you get the error message "remote aosp has
no review url", you manifest is too old, running "repo sync" should
take care of that.

-Also, this implementation of Gerrit only supports uploads through
https, but until a few hours ago repo only supported uploads over ssh.
If you get the error message "SSH disabled", your version of repo is
too old, running "repo selfupdate" should take care of that.

-You need a Google account to access the web interface. OpenID isn't
supported any more.

-In the process of moving from ssh to https, the authentication scheme
for repo upload changed. You need to visit
https://android-review.googlesource.com/new-password and save the
result in ~/.netrc. Note that uploads and downloads use different host
names, so if you have a password set for authenticated downloads as
described on http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html ("Using
authentication") you'll need to configure an upload password as well.
Note that the same password will work on both host names, you can
copy-paste an existing one to use the same for downloads and uploads.

-We're still hitting certain redirect loops during login (e.g. getting
stuck on "Loading Gerrit Code Review"). In that case, delete the
cookies for android-review, and things will work again. You might find
it easier to use Google Chrome with an incognito window (or even a
separate browser where you wipe everything).

-Occasionally, uploads can fail silently without an error message. One
common issues are a mismatch between the committer email address and
the registered addresses on Gerrit. Another one is a missing
Contributor Agreement. If all those seem fine. try to repo sync, repo
rebase, and upload again.

-Some operations are slower than on a typical Gerrit installation. If
something seems to take a while, please be patient.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 12, 2012, 12:16:58 AM1/12/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting several reports that the web login process redirects to
https://login/q/status:open,n,z (which fails). We're investigating.

JBQ

Chih-Wei

Jan 12, 2012, 12:44:22 AM1/12/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to add new email address for my account.
I got a confirmation message in my email box.
But when I clicked the link to confirm, I got (in the browser)

  Application Error

  Server Error

  Identity in use by another account

Then of course my new email address was not added.

What's wrong?

Jeff Sharkey

Jan 12, 2012, 1:54:34 AM1/12/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
one workaround is to use manual login link:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/login/

in some cases the site redirects to
"https://android-review.googlesource.com//" (notice the two "/"es at
the end of path), which might be breaking the login link.

Jeff Sharkey
jsha...@android.com

Martin Storsjö

Jan 12, 2012, 5:09:43 AM1/12/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan and JBQ,

Thanks for your work on bringing this back up again!

I had a look at the changes available on Gerrit, and one good thing is
that most of the old changes seem to still be present. However, there's a
number of comments that I feel are missing on some of my changesets, and
some "recent" changesets seem to be missing. By looking at gerrit mail
notifications in my mail archive, it seems to me that changes from before
July 2nd seem to be present, but anything from July 7th or later seems to
be missing. Is this right?

Should we hold off touching it until some later updates are restored, or
should we just manually clean up what's out of sync (e.g. abandon
changesets that were merged into master but still are open on gerrit)?

// Martin

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 12, 2012, 11:41:01 AM1/12/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
In greater detail, this seems to work for me:

https://android-review.googlesource.com/login/q/status:open,n,z

(the plain URI gives me a redirect loop).

I'll mention this in the known issues.

JBQ

丹羽直也

Jan 14, 2012, 10:06:47 AM1/14/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi, JBQ.

Thanks for the good news!

I shared this news with Japan Android Group and Android Security Japan.
(in Japanese)

Japan Android Group
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-group-japan/oTFysJDdWFc/discussion
Android Security Japan
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-security-japan/2nqMmfVvG-s/discussion

2012年1月12日13:29 Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com>:

--
Naoya Niwa

Christopher Orr

Jan 15, 2012, 9:27:20 AM1/15/12
to Android Contributors
Hi there,

On Jan 12, 5:29 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Here are a few notes:
>
> -You need a Google account to access the web interface. OpenID isn't
> supported any more.

I used OpenID in the past.. I've just signed in with my Google Account
and it's apparently created a new account, which has the same name and
email address as my existing account.

How can I merge the two? I'd rather have my history and preferences
back, otherwise I also have to sort out another contributor agreement
etc..

Thanks,
Chris

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 17, 2012, 5:07:18 PM1/17/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Were you using OpenID with the Google OpenID provider (I think that's
how it's called), or with another provider (e.g. Yahoo!, or your own)?

JBQ

Christopher Orr

Jan 18, 2012, 10:16:42 AM1/18/12
to Android Contributors
Hi there,

On Jan 17, 11:07 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Were you using OpenID with the Google OpenID provider (I think that's
> how it's called), or with another provider (e.g. Yahoo!, or your own)?

I was using a non-Google OpenID provider (my own domain, but
delegating to myopenid.com).

Regards,
Chris

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jan 18, 2012, 12:02:20 PM1/18/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
OK. That's the case where Gerrit can't automatically recognize that
it's the same account. Lemme as the server admins if there's an easy
trick to manually merge the two accounts.

JBQ

Christopher Orr

Jan 22, 2012, 12:38:27 PM1/22/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Ah, ok, thanks for checking.

I have a couple of requests to submit, but presumably I should hold off
until the account merge is done (or declared not possible)?

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Orr

Feb 8, 2012, 7:20:58 AM2/8/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Hi JBQ,

Did you discover whether OpenID -> Google Gerrit account merging is
possible or not?

If not, I will need to start using my new account for code submissions
and can look at submitting a new contributor agreement...

Thanks,
Chris

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 8, 2012, 8:54:03 AM2/8/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had time to look into it yet, very sorry about that. My todo list is overflowing :(

JBQ

mickae...@st.com

Feb 8, 2012, 9:28:23 AM2/8/12
to Android Contributors
Hi JB,

> -For now, only the master manifest is configured to allow uploads at
> all.
What is the status to upload to others branches ?

Regards

Mickael

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 13, 2012, 12:12:26 PM2/13/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
At the moment, that's not been configured. Typically, the only project
where it makes sense to upload to older branches is CTS, but at this
point we're not set up to accept contributions to older branches at
all.

JBQ

Benjamin Schneider

Feb 13, 2012, 11:51:26 PM2/13/12
to Android Contributors
Is it possible to push kernel commits via git or is this also
disabled? I have tried everything in the documentation which no longer
matches the web interface (refers to SSH keys page and usernames which
are no longer used). I am currently trying

$git push https://android-review.googlesource.com:29418/kernel/common
HEAD:refs/for/mybranch

but this is not working. I have added the username and password
generated at said link in the .netrc file.

Thanks,

Ben

On Jan 11, 8:29 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> You've probably seen Dan's announcement earlier: AOSP has a Gerrit server again.
>
> You'll note that it's really beta quality at this point.
>
> Here are a few notes:
>
> -For now, only the master manifest is configured to allow uploads at
> all. Also, you need a very recent manifest, so be sure to sync before
> you attempt any upload. If you get the error message "remote aosp has
> no review url", you manifest is too old, running "repo sync" should
> take care of that.
>
> -Also, this implementation of Gerrit only supports uploads through
> https, but until a few hours ago repo only supported uploads over ssh.
> If you get the error message "SSH disabled", your version of repo is
> too old, running "repo selfupdate" should take care of that.
>
> -You need a Google account to access the web interface. OpenID isn't
> supported any more.
>
> -In the process of moving from ssh to https, the authentication scheme
> for repo upload changed. You need to visithttps://android-review.googlesource.com/new-passwordand save the
> result in ~/.netrc. Note that uploads and downloads use different host
> names, so if you have a password set for authenticated downloads as
> described onhttp://source.android.com/source/downloading.html("Using

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 14, 2012, 11:06:24 AM2/14/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
You almost guessed it :)

The actual URI to push to is
https://android-review.googlesource.com/p/$REPO_PROJECT (note that
there's no port number as Gerrit runs on the standard https port, and
there's an extra /p/ in the URI before the project name).

In your case: https://android-review.googlesource.com/p/kernel/common

JBQ

Benjamin Schneider

Feb 15, 2012, 4:07:18 PM2/15/12
to Android Contributors
Many thanks. This worked perfectly. However, after I push the change
isn't showing up on gerrit. I read somewhere that a URI will be
generated after a succesful push but I didn't get one. I made sure my
commit message included a change ID and the following command appeared
(on the surface) to succeed.

$ git push https://android-review.googlesource.com/p/kernel/common
HEAD:/refs/for/mybranch

Am I still missing something critical or some other required post-
commit hook besides commit-msg?

Looking forward to contributing so I appreciate all your help.

Ben

On Feb 14, 8:06 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> You almost guessed it :)
>
> The actual URI to push to ishttps://android-review.googlesource.com/p/$REPO_PROJECT(note that
> there's no port number as Gerrit runs on the standard https port, and
> there's an extra /p/ in the URI before the project name).
>
> In your case:https://android-review.googlesource.com/p/kernel/common
>
> JBQ
>

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Benjamin Schneider <bsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to push kernel commits via git or is this also
> > disabled? I have tried everything in the documentation which no longer
> > matches the web interface (refers to SSH keys page and usernames which
> > are no longer used).  I am currently trying
>
> > $git pushhttps://android-review.googlesource.com:29418/kernel/common
> > HEAD:refs/for/mybranch
>
> > but this is not working.  I have added the username and password
> > generated at said link in the .netrc file.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Ben
>
> > On Jan 11, 8:29 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> >> You've probably seen Dan's announcement earlier: AOSP has a Gerrit server again.
>
> >> You'll note that it's really beta quality at this point.
>
> >> Here are a few notes:
>
> >> -For now, only the master manifest is configured to allow uploads at
> >> all. Also, you need a very recent manifest, so be sure to sync before
> >> you attempt any upload. If you get the error message "remote aosp has
> >> no review url", you manifest is too old, running "repo sync" should
> >> take care of that.
>
> >> -Also, this implementation of Gerrit only supports uploads through
> >> https, but until a few hours ago repo only supported uploads over ssh.
> >> If you get the error message "SSH disabled", your version of repo is
> >> too old, running "repo selfupdate" should take care of that.
>
> >> -You need a Google account to access the web interface. OpenID isn't
> >> supported any more.
>
> >> -In the process of moving from ssh to https, the authentication scheme
> >> for repo upload changed. You need to visithttps://android-review.googlesource.com/new-passwordandsave the
> warning.- Hide quoted text -

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 15, 2012, 5:34:09 PM2/15/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
If you're literally pushing to "refs/for/mybranch", you're instructing
Gerrit to consider your commit for review in a branch called
"mybranch", which doesn't exist in the project in question, and that's
probably why it's failing.

If not, I'll probably have an easier time giving you some guidance if
you can copy-paste the entire output from git push.

JBQ

Benjamin Schneider

Feb 15, 2012, 7:10:40 PM2/15/12
to Android Contributors
Sorry, I should have specified the branch name I was using exactly. I
am executing:
HEAD:/refs/for/android-3.0

The output is:

Username:
Password:
Counting objects: 9, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
Writing objects: 100% (5/5), 1.23 KiB, done.
Total 5 (delta 4), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (4/4)
$

Do I need to include /remotes/origin in the branch name perhaps?

Ben

On Feb 15, 2:34 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> If you're literally pushing to "refs/for/mybranch", you're instructing
> Gerrit to consider your commit for review in a branch called
> "mybranch", which doesn't exist in the project in question, and that's
> probably why it's failing.
>
> If not, I'll probably have an easier time giving you some guidance if
> you can copy-paste the entire output from git push.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Benjamin Schneider <bsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Many thanks. This worked perfectly. However, after I push the change
> > isn't showing up on gerrit. I read somewhere that a URI will be
> > generated after a succesful push but I didn't get one.  I made sure my
> > commit message included a change ID and the following command appeared
> > (on the surface) to succeed.
>
> > $ git pushhttps://android-review.googlesource.com/p/kernel/common

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Feb 15, 2012, 7:17:08 PM2/15/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
I've been able to reproduce.

I got the same silent failure trying to upload a patch without
Signed-off-by, which is mandatory in kernel land. Adding that allows
me to upload to the kernel.

JBQ

Benjamin Schneider

Feb 15, 2012, 8:45:31 PM2/15/12
to Android Contributors
Success. Many thanks!

It seems many small things can cause silent errors. This is another
case that fails silently:
HEAD:/refs/for/android-3.0

...due to the extra / before refs. I think any misspecification of
the remote branch is a silent fail. But despite the silent fails, no
URI is generated in these cases so that is one way to confirm whether
or not a push was successful.

Ben

On Feb 15, 4:17 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I've been able to reproduce.
>
> I got the same silent failure trying to upload a patch without
> Signed-off-by, which is mandatory in kernel land. Adding that allows
> me to upload to the kernel.
>
> JBQ
>

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Benjamin Schneider <bsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry, I should have specified the branch name I was using exactly.  I
> > am executing:
>
> > $ git pushhttps://android-review.googlesource.com/p/kernel/common

Fabien Duvoux

Apr 26, 2012, 1:15:27 PM4/26/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Is it now possible to commit on CTS on gingerbread branch ?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Apr 26, 2012, 1:45:45 PM4/26/12
to android...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Gingerbread CTS is open for submissions.

JBQ