Google Email & AOSP

ch...@christopherprice.net

Jun 19, 2014, 10:59:30 AM6/19/14
to android...@googlegroups.com

Is the Email app being slated for removal from AOSP? With Google Email appearing on the Google Play Store, it would be nice to have some clarity on if AOSP intends to continue supporting this app, or if AOSP maintainers are deprecating it formally with the release of Google Email. I would expect it would remain in the KitKat repository for CDD reasons - but is Google deprecating?

I realize it may be that Google is also merely hosting Email on Google Play to ensure zero-day exploits can be pushed to a large percentage of users without waiting for OEM/carrier firmware updates.

For those of us building/working on that code, some clarification would be appreciated.

Christopher Price
ConsoleOS.com

Martin Hibdon

Jun 19, 2014, 1:56:03 PM6/19/14
to android...@googlegroups.com

The email app is not intended to be removed from aosp, we intend to push the latest source publicly soon. We have been focused on the Play Store release, the next task for us is also.

--

---

ch...@christopherprice.net

Jun 20, 2014, 12:18:05 AM6/20/14
to android...@googlegroups.com, mhi...@google.com
That's the answer I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the quick response.

Christopher Price

Jonathan Marsaud

Jun 28, 2014, 5:15:12 PM6/28/14
to android...@googlegroups.com, mhi...@google.com
Hi, I created a new subject (which is in approbation state so not visible at this time) about the rest of AOSP apps.
Can Google post a list of AOSP apps that are actively maintained like Dianne Hackborn told it in a comment of ArsTechnica?
Dianne said that all code that is not related to proprietary Google's Services and Google's backend is pushed to AOSP, but it seems to be not the case for some AOSP Apps (Search, Music, SMS/MMS, ...).
I was totally agree with Dianne explication, it seems fair from Google to release opensource code from their proprietary version while it's not related to their online services.

Can you give us a clear explanation of your internal process about this? As Christopher Price said in his mail, this answer will important for folks whose are working on this code for his derived apps, or for OSS enthusiast which build AOSP and think they can have a full-turn key OSS without replacing some AOSP apps by third-party apps.

Regards,