Want to Remove Unwanted packages and services to reduce the filesystem size in Android 4.0

Nitish Mehta

Mar 1, 2014, 7:07:03 AM3/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello All
I am currently working on AM335X with Android ICS .
But want to remove more packages from the system as my product doesnt require those.
I want to remove the following :
1) Complete Camera Service (including libs and other dependencies )
2) Bluetooth Service
3) Audio Support
Kindly Please guide me.I am totally confused and stucked over this as i am not able to get the complete Flow Picture .

Thanking You All

Hoping Favourable Response as early as possible.

Regards
Nitish Mehta

JF Dionne

Mar 2, 2014, 1:56:53 PM3/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Remove them from starting in system server and activity stack.

Or you could dig and remove them from build make files.

Look for core.mk and core_base.Mk to see what's included

Nitish Mehta

Mar 4, 2014, 1:57:15 AM3/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dionne ,
Thanks for your reply .
I managed to remove some of the unwanted apps by stoping the System server services.
But still i am not able to remove the Audio,(Camera,Bluetooth not yet approached).
I have commented some the of the  Audio libs in generic_telephony.mk file ,core.mk,device.mk in AOSP.
libaudio utils,tinycap,tinymix,tinyplay,audiopreprocessing etc.When i commented out this my system gets slow LAUNCHER stopped error got started and  Soft Navigation Bar Key got disappeared.
As i am unable to understand the dependencies.
Kindly help me further.

Currently my ubi file sys size is 99MB i need to reduce it upto 50MB.

Thanks For your response once again.

Regards
Nitish Mehta

Jean-Francois Blanchard-Dionne

Mar 4, 2014, 9:33:40 AM3/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nitish,

stopping the services in SystemServer won't reduce the final image size.

Anyhow, you have to be careful when removing core functionalities
1. If you plan to ship the device you probably won't get through CTS
2. App needs some of these core functionalities

I guess the laginess comes from teh fact that some apps try to launch stuff that is not there and it hangs before crashing.
You will need to carefully bypass the code in there.

Not an easy job

Good luck

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.

JF