Build problems: "Too many levels of symbolic links"

Jan

Nov 19, 2014, 3:32:34 AM11/19/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've been trying to start building AOSP for android, but I keep coming across this symbolic link error when just starting to "make" the build. I've tried building lollipop and now the same type of error with kitkat. I've tried this with Elementary Luna x86, ubuntu x86, and my current machine which is debian x64. I went through the official guide (http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html) as well as others and haven't seen anything like this.

Specifically, the error is: "env: can't execute 'python': Too many levels of symbolic links"

The whole error output is:

Checking build tools versions...
env: can't execute 'python': Too many levels of symbolic links
PRODUCT_COPY_FILES device/samsung/tuna/prebuilt/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal:system/etc/wifi/bcmdhd.cal ignored.
No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE toro
make: *** No rule to make target `/media/ca5c5c34-e185-45f5-bb00-11f1f867a610/aaa/liquid_kitkat/out/host/linux-x86/bin/mkbootimg', needed by `/media/ca5c5c34-e185-45f5-bb00-11f1f867a610/aaa/kitkat/out/target/product/toro/boot.img'.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Any help much appreciated!

Jan

Nov 19, 2014, 4:29:49 PM11/19/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE: I installed Ubuntu x64 14.04.1 and have been able to get past this issue. I'd still like to know why it occurred though.

Bora Balabanli

Nov 24, 2014, 4:24:32 AM11/24/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
What was the ubuntu version in prior problem?

Hod Greeley

Mar 26, 2015, 1:25:29 PM3/26/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com
You should check out your python installation.  It sounds like you have a symbolic link loop, which means somehow the version of python being found isn't the right one or is installed improperly.