Android building questions problems

Louis Paquet

Dec 20, 2017, 11:43:03 AM12/20/17
to Android Building
Hi,

I'm posting here because I have a few questions and some problems.

Me and some friends a trying to create are own tablet and our android rom.

So we wanted to try and play a bit with AOSP 7.1.1 to see what we can do and start working on it, but we can't seem to build it, at first we got RAM issues with a java error, we seem to have resolved this error but now when we try to build we get subcommand failed. It sometimes fails at 1% or it can also fail at 60%. I seem to have install all the necessary dependencies.

We are working on linux mint, we are trying to build AOSP 7.1 with a Intel Core i7-5600U 2.60GHz and 8GB of ram. We put AOSP on a external 1To drive because we want to build a server to access it in remote.

Here are some additional questions if someone can help

  • We will need a kernel for our tablet, what can we use do we have to compile it with AOSP,  i've read a bit about kernels but didn't get to it.
  • Are there things we must do or mustn't do
If you have any tips i'll take everything

Thanks

Glenn Kasten

Dec 20, 2017, 11:52:47 AM12/20/17
to Android Building
For the tablet porting questions, please ask at android-porting group instead of android-building.

For the minimum host configuration question, I suspect that 8 GB of RAM is insufficient.
says minimum of 16 GB RAM for VMs, but I think that is also true for non-VMs.
I would recommend much more than 16 GB if you can get it. For example 64 GB is better.