Have run "repo sync" command for building rom since Monday. Is that strange?

Dexter Moregan

Apr 2, 2014, 3:23:32 AM4/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to build my own AOSP rom. So, I do as http://source.android.com/source/building.html. I am at the step to run "repo sync" command. I have run that command since Monday and it's not finish. Is that strange?

Vishveshwar

Apr 3, 2014, 2:39:52 AM4/3/14
On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:53:32 PM UTC+5:30, Dexter Moregan wrote:
Hello,

I would like to build my own AOSP rom. So, I do as http://source.android.com/source/building.html. I am at the step to run "repo sync" command. I have run that command since Monday and it's not finish. Is that strange?

'repo sync' clones the whole AOSP repository into your system. This runs into GBs. The download time depends on your bandwidth.

If you feel it is stuck, you could always abort the 'repo sync' and start sync process again. The parts which are already downloaded would be skipped.

Post the log here and we can see if the download is still happening or it is stuck.

-Vishveshwar

shridutt kothari

Apr 8, 2014, 8:16:14 AM4/8/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dexter,

Repo sync take time... also it depends on your internet connection, as the size of Android source code is huge (more than 10G) it will take lot of time if your internet connection is slow.

also you can make multiple parallel threads to sync with following command:

repo sync -j16

here -j16 show that 16 parallel threads woll be run for downloading.

Thanks,
Shridutt Kothari
Impetus Infotech India Ltd

Christopher Latham

Apr 18, 2014, 3:09:27 PM4/18/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I've been building from source for quite some time now, and I recently deleted everything to fix some problems I ran into with .repo/projects folders I deleted, and because I now cloned the manifest I was using to add a few modified, cloned, projects of mine and I cannot get past 99% now. I used my cloned manifest before. I had this issue before but usually by setting sysctl tcp_scaling at 0, using repo init -u https:// vs -u git://, repo sync -j1, repo sync -f, repo sync -c -j1, and/or just retrying a few times it would finish. I have run repo sync about 25 times, at least... and it will not finish. I removed sync-c="true" from my manifest. I have everything aleady downloaded in .repo/projects and .repo/project-objects and it syncs in a very short time to 99% but then it stops. It does not build the source folders outside of .repo/projects and .repo/project/objects

I am stuck. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Christopher Latham

Apr 18, 2014, 6:31:14 PM4/18/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I sent a message earlier, it hasn't been approved yet, but I'll add to it... I finally... after a full day of trying to repo sync got it to complete. I tried everything included in my prior message plus strace repo --trace sync and I just could not find a problem. So finally knowing that I get to 99%, and after that it usually says, for each project:

checking out files 100% (533 of 533) Done.

...I tried:

repo forall -c git checkout

...and it flew through, skipping all projects, until the last said branch jb-devel is not available, which I knew is a gcc-4.7 toolchain in the manifest and is from bitbucket.

Thank God I finally diagnosed the problem. I think I previously had nslookup for bitbucket.org in my /etc/hosts which I had removed. Anyway I changed the toolchain to aosp cause I use gcc-4.8-linaro anyway.

I hope that the process I used can help someone diagnose their repo sync problems, and hopefully get the repo dev's to make it be more verbose, instead of just stalling at 99%!!! Someone can pass this on to any repo dev's to use or help us diagnose that issue:

repo forall -c git checkout