make: *** [ninja_wrapper] Error 1

Aditya Parmar

Jun 6, 2017, 1:07:35 PM6/6/17
to Android Building
Getting this error when running make -j16

[  0% 148/15413] Building with Jack: o...phonenumber_intermediates/classes.jack
build/core/ninja.mk:148: recipe for target 'ninja_wrapper' failed
make: *** [ninja_wrapper] Error 1

Colin Cross

Jun 6, 2017, 1:11:00 PM6/6/17
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Look earlier in the log for a line that starts with FAILED:
> --
> --
>
> ---
> "Android Building" group.
> email to android-buildi...@googlegroups.com.

Aditya Parmar

Jun 7, 2017, 11:40:23 AM6/7/17
to Android Building
FAILED: /bin/bash out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/framework_intermediates/with-local/classes.dex.rsp
Out of memory error (version 1.2-rc4 'Carnac' (298900 f95d7bdecfceb327f9d201a1348397ed8a843843 by android-...@google.com)).
GC overhead limit exceeded.
Try increasing heap size with java option '-Xmx<size>'.
Warning: This may have produced partial or corrupted output.
[ 10% 1546/15246] Building with Jack: ...ort-v13-nyc_intermediates/classes.jack
build/core/ninja.mk:148: recipe for target 'ninja_wrapper' failed
make: *** [ninja_wrapper] Error 1

#### make failed to build some targets (13:06 (mm:ss)) ####

i am building for the first time to i am not sure what the error is.

Deepak Garg

Jun 8, 2017, 11:17:52 AM6/8/17
to Android Building

Hi,

Interestingly when i started on N some 6-8 months before, i also had a similar first error so thought of sharing the complete information.

Refer to this thread

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197333

Key points as per this thread :-

è  About memory: please note that recommended minimum memory for building an Android tree is 16G.

Issues observed on machine with < 16GB RAM:

o   Communication error with Jack server

o   Out of memory error (version 1.2-rc4 'Carnac'

Once you will move to a 16 GB RAM machine, all such errors should vanish :-)

This is what i have experienced

Aditya Parmar

Jun 8, 2017, 4:22:55 PM6/8/17
to Android Building
Thanks just solved the error i did;nt ran make clobber and started jack-server manually

Viraj Kanase

Aug 4, 2017, 9:56:57 AM8/4/17
to Android Building
Try  export USE_NINJA=false it will desable ninja

Viraj Kanase

Aug 4, 2017, 9:56:57 AM8/4/17
to Android Building
export USE_NINJA=false it will desable ninja

then build again

ytim08

Oct 12, 2017, 12:48:53 PM10/12/17
to Android Building
I did this and it is stuck at the lunch screen :|

Yogesh Bhat

Aug 12, 2018, 8:49:36 PM8/12/18
to Android Building
In the same post, the one person says, that the java -Xms command for space allocation solved the problem.