Android Source code build error "Permission denied"

Muhammad Kazim

Dec 17, 2010, 3:55:17 AM12/17/10
to Android Building
Dear All,
I am using ubuntu 10.10 that i have installed inside windows 7. I had
downloaded android source code. When i try to build it an error comes.

The output is
kazim@ubuntu:~/work/android$ make
/bin/bash: prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
gcc: Permission denied
/bin/bash: prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
gcc: Permission denied
/bin/bash: build/core/find-jdk-tools-jar.sh: Permission denied
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=AOSP
PLATFORM_VERSION=AOSP
TARGET_PRODUCT=generic
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=eng
TARGET_SIMULATOR=
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_BUILD_APPS=
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv5te
HOST_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=OPENMASTER
/bin/bash: build/tools/findleaves.py: Permission denied
/bin/bash: out/target/product/generic/clean_steps.mk: Permission
denied
/bin/bash: out/target/product/generic/clean_steps.mk: Permission
denied
/bin/bash: out/target/product/generic/previous_build_config.mk:
Permission denied
/bin/bash: build/tools/findleaves.py: Permission denied
frameworks/policies/base/PolicyConfig.mk:22: *** No module defined for
the given PRODUCT_POLICY (android.policy_phone). Stop.

I have tried to build it from root as well but this error is still
same. I have read in some forums that modifying the /build/tools/
findleaves.sh can remove this error but this file named findleaves.sh
does not exist in my case.
Kindly help to solve this problem. I will really appreciate any of
your help.

Conley Owens

Apr 22, 2013, 12:02:44 PM4/22/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com, kazi...@gmail.com
It sounds like you build once using `sudo`. You are going to have to
run chown -R on the out directory to fix things, or you can blow away
the directory and build again without sudo.

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Arpita Biswas
<arpita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Could you find a solution to this problem ? I am also stuck on a similar
> problem. I was trying to update APIs and run make update-api , but it gives
> error :
>
> out/target/product/generic/clean_steps.mk: Permission denied
>
> Anybody has any ideas/pointers ?
> --
> --
>
> ---
> "Android Building" group.
> email to android-buildi...@googlegroups.com.

Joshua Shearer

Sep 4, 2016, 11:36:05 AM9/4/16
to Android Building, kazi...@gmail.com, armedand...@gmail.com
Thank you so much for this post :)  Saved me from a serious headache.