Flashing boot.img

Christopher Chen

Feb 6, 2017, 12:15:47 PM2/6/17
to Android Building
Hi, everyone! I'm getting into Android/Linux kernel development for the first time and have been trying to flash a freshly built kernel to a Nexus 5X (build number N4F26I, rooted, bootloader unlocked, custom recovery). I checked out branch android-7.1.1_r10 with the repo tool and also cloned the android-msm-bullhead-3.10-nougat-mr1.1 branch of the kernel source.

I can successfully compile the kernel from source and run make bootimage in the Android source repository to produce a boot.img using my newly built kernel. However, after running "fastboot flash boot boot.img" the device gets stuck at the Google logo upon reboot. As far as I know, I'm building the exact same kernel that is included in the factory image (I'm not changing the kernel source at all and I'm pretty sure I'm on the right branch for the build number).

Also, adb doesn't show any connected devices at that point so I don't think I can check the logcat.

What might be going wrong?
Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated!

Chih-Wei Huang

Feb 13, 2017, 9:15:03 PM2/13/17
to Android Building

Christopher Chen於 2017年2月7日星期二 UTC+8上午1時15分47秒寫道:

Did you use the correct kernel config?

Is your cmdline correct?

Christopher Chen

Feb 17, 2017, 10:54:52 AM2/17/17
to Android Building
Thanks for the reply! I ran "make bullhead_defconfig" before compiling the kernel source.

Also, my kernel cmdline is (console=ttyHSL0,115200,n8 androidboot.hardware=bullhead boot_cp), which I believe is the same as the cmdline for the factory boot.img. I hope that helps! Let me know if there's any other info I should provide to better troubleshoot my issue!