Can i only build sdk tools from aosp?

Scott Fan

Nov 22, 2012, 3:52:08 AM11/22/12
to android-building
Hi,guys,

I know the regular build steps for building the sdk tools from the
AOSP tools_r21 branch:
$ make PRODUCT-sdk-sdk
or
$ . build/envsetup.sh
$ lunch sdk-eng
$ make sdk

This way will build a full sdk that located at
out/host/platform/sdk/android-sdk_eng.username_platform-x86/, it
includes not only tools, but also platform-tools, platforms,
system-images, docs, extras, samples and tests. It will take a long
long time.

I'm looking for a simple build way to build only the tools (exclude
else) from the tools_r21 branch, to generate a zipped file just like
http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r21-linux.tgz

Does AOSP source support such build? if so, that will save a lot of
build times, how to do it?

Could anyone help me?

Thanks.
Scott Fan

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 26, 2012, 11:35:04 AM11/26/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
At the moment, the build system always builds the entire platform.
You'll probably need to build it at least once.

JBQ
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

Elangovan Manickam

Feb 11, 2017, 2:37:44 PM2/11/17
to Android Building
Please refer section "C-building just the tools" in this link https://android.googlesource.com/platform/sdk/+/master/docs/howto_build_SDK.txt.

I know this question posted long back.. but this answer might help if anyone else having the same question.

from the given link:

C- Building just the tools -------------------------------------- You can also build isolated windows tools directly on Linux without building the full SDK. To build, perform the following steps: $ cd ~/my-android-git $ . build/envsetup.sh $ lunch sdk-eng $ make winsdk-tools A specific tool can be built using: $ make host_cross_adb Then the binaries are located at out/host/windows-x86/bin/adb.exe

chris m

Mar 5, 2017, 12:50:00 PM3/5/17
to Android Building
Hi Elangovan,

Does that tools only command > make winsdk-tools work for building just the linux versions as well? Such as armv7, mips, x86. Also, is there a way to build it as a pie (position independent executable) via the command line or do I need to edit a build file to add like the -fPIE fag or something?

Thanks,
Chris