Problem trying to build AOSP

daniel jordan

Sep 24, 2015, 2:53:52 PM9/24/15
to Android Building

Hello, I'm new to the Android build world - hopefully I can get some decent pointers here.

I've been following the steps in http://source.android.com/source/building.html which have worked correctly up until "make" ... the last line is:

"make:  *** [kati.intermediate] Killed."

nothing indicates what the error is.  Could someone please point me to any corrections in the building.html guide and/or a build log which I'm guessing is present but I can't find on the local.

thanks,

-daniel

Subodh Nijsure

Sep 24, 2015, 4:22:16 PM9/24/15
to Android Building
What platform, target, branch?

-Subodh

daniel jordan

Sep 24, 2015, 5:28:03 PM9/24/15
to Android Building
ah, sorry for not putting that in.

I'm building on Ubuntu 14.04
I've installed everything listed on the source.googlesource.com/source/initializing.html
I've sync'd the master branch
I chosen several targets via lunch.  Eventually I'll be needing an ARM binary, but for now something for the emulator is good.

The build starts, I see Kati being invoked, a bunch of includes and some warnings.
Then a big pause ... I'm guessing Make/Kati are figuring out what to build.
then Make issues it's standard "failed" message.

I don't see any errors in the output.
I've been trying to find a build log, but haven't yet.

Dan Willemsen

Sep 24, 2015, 6:07:44 PM9/24/15
to Android Building
That looks like kati is being killed for some reason. How much RAM/swap do you have? Is it possible that you're running out of memory?

There isn't a more detailed build log. It would be useful to have at least the last few lines before the killed message.
Message has been deleted

daniel jordan

Sep 25, 2015, 7:15:07 PM9/25/15
to Android Building

I've got the output here:

It's really really terse.  In fact, I'd say it is obtuse.

If you can shed any light on it I'd really appreciate the input.

I posted yesterday that I thought the problem was not having updated Ubuntu ... turns out that didn't change anything.  the build ran longer, but not to completion.

daniel jordan

Nov 12, 2015, 4:18:09 PM11/12/15
to Android Building
Turns out the problem was not having enough RAM.
I needed to have more than the default 2gb which VMWare created.  I increased the RAM to 4GB and the build ran correctly.
I think I also eventually needed more HD space, eventually increasing the HD size to 250GB.