How can I make my custom output onto Pixel XL?

Minjun Hong

Jan 25, 2017, 11:58:06 AM1/25/17
to Android Building
Hello, I'm working on mobile device and now trying to build and flash its output onto a Pixel XL device.

But I've had some trouble on it. My history about the work is below.

1. I Downloaded AOSP source code and built it following AOSP guide. The output is:

nickeys@nickeys-linux-machine:~/AOSP/out/target/product/generic_arm64$ ls
android-info.txt  build_fingerprint.txt  cache.img       current_build_config.mk  dex_bootjars  installed-files.json  module-info.json  obj_arm                   ramdisk.img  root     system      userdata.img
boot.img          cache                  clean_steps.mk  data

2. Entered into bootloader and flashed the outputs in $AOSP_Root/out/target/product/generic_arm64/, like this:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img

However, as I know, Pixel XL does not have cache partition so, the last one failed

3. After those, I rebooted the device and waited and it continued to boot;
warning for bootloader unlock -> Google logo -> the warning -> ... (loop) -> recovery mode -> warning for bootloader unlock -> Google logo -> ...(loop)

What did I in wrong way? Actually, Why I'm building the source code is that I need root privilege and I'm just finding the way to build eng-binary and flash it.

Please give me any small clue to resolve it...

Thanks!

Dan Willemsen

Jan 25, 2017, 5:20:16 PM1/25/17
to Android Building
If you're intending to flash a Pixel XL, that device's codename is 'marlin', so you need to run lunch with 'aosp_marlin-userdebug' (or -eng/-user). This is described in "Choosing a target": http://source.android.com/source/building.html#choose-a-target (though the table in http://source.android.com/source/running.html#selecting-device-build is missing the Pixel / Pixel XL, we'll work on getting that fixed).

Remember to get the appropriate binaries from those pages as well.

- Dan

---

Minjun Hong

Jan 26, 2017, 10:44:06 AM1/26/17
to Android Building
Thank you so much, Dan.
Unless I had your opinion, I could not do that.
I really appreciate your help again.

Sincerely,