Can we know the version of Ubuntu and kernel for building Android inside Google?

SZ Lee

Mar 16, 2018, 5:42:51 PM3/16/18
to Android Building
According to statement of  "Establishing a Build Environment" from https://source.android.com/setup/initializing,
Google looks like setup their build machine with the recent versions of Ubuntu LTS (14.04).
As I tested on Ubuntu 14.04.2 ~ 14.04.5 and 16.04.1 ~ 16.04.4 ,
the time to build aosp is slightly different depending on the Ubuntu version.

Can we know the exact Ubuntu version and kernel version at Google Android build farm?
I hope to make the same environment as Google's

Thanks
SZ

Dan Willemsen

Mar 19, 2018, 6:29:09 PM3/19/18
to Android Building
There are several variants being used in our build farms, from our internal Goobuntu to something closer to stock Ubuntu -- generally we expect anything based on Ubuntu 14.04 to work for Marshmallow through Oreo.

For P and master, our developers are now mostly using gLinux, which is based on Debian Testing. But these are still being built on the same build farms, so Ubuntu 14.04 should still work. We have been making progress (some in Oreo, some more recently) of reducing dependencies on the host build system, so it should be getting simpler to use almost any base system.

For compatibility, I have posted a Dockerfile here so that older branches can continue to be built on newer machines (though many of them mostly work). This could also be used to check to see if you've added any dependencies outside of the standard set.

- Dan

---