building kernels problem: can't find bullhead_defconfig

Andrew Weiner

Jan 29, 2017, 9:03:41 PM1/29/17
to Android Building
Hello community,

I am trying to build the Android kernel following the instructions here: http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html
I am trying to build for a Nexus 5X so I've been using this row of the Kernels table:
bullheaddevice/lge/bullhead-kernelkernel/msmbullhead_defconfig

When I get down to this part [http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html#building], I run this command...
make bullhead_defconfig
...and I get the following error message:

***

*** Can't find default configuration "arch/arm/configs/bullhead_defconfig"!

***

make[1]: *** [bullhead_defconfig] Error 1

make: *** [bullhead_defconfig] Error 2

Indeed, when I have a look in arch/arm/configs, I see that there is no file called bullhead_defconfig.

Should I be using a different defconfig file?  If so, does the build-kernels documentation need to be updated?

I should mention that I checked out commit d28c62a152463152f5fbf84df30e1f0a68f2fc59 (https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm.git/+/android-msm-bullhead-3.10-nougat-mr1.1)

Full disclosure, this is my first time working with the Android source, so please be gentle :)

Thanks!

Andrew

Colin Cross

Jan 29, 2017, 9:24:33 PM1/29/17
to android-...@googlegroups.com
bullhead is an arm64 device, you need to run:
export ARCH=arm64
export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-android-

---

Andrew Weiner

Jan 30, 2017, 10:25:34 AM1/30/17
to Android Building
Thanks Colin!  That got me a little farther along in the process.

In case anyone else is looking here in the future, I also had to tweak my PATH.  Instead of using this command from the docs:
$ export PATH=$(pwd)/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6/bin:$PATH
I changed it to this:
$ export PATH=$(pwd)/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/aarch64/aarch64-linux-android-4.9/bin:$PATH

I wonder if it might be a good idea to add a couple columns to the table here [http://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html#figuring-out-which-kernel-to-build] that tell you the appropriate ARCH, CROSS_COMPILE and PATH for each kernel.  Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Andrew

For more options, visit this group at

---