GPL projects for the l-preview release

Bill Yi

Jul 1, 2014, 8:53:33 PM7/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
hi All,

Today, we pushed a small number of GPL projects for the l-preview release. This preview is not a full platform update and only for reference.

bill

Artem Russakovskii

Jul 1, 2014, 10:27:58 PM7/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

Could you please clarify the purpose for this partial release? I realize why the platform code didn't make it out (it's not ready yet) but what is the reason for releasing the rest?

Jake Weinstein

Jul 1, 2014, 10:41:17 PM7/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
There's an L-Preview branch for every repo.  Are you saying that most of those are just master and not L?

Evan Anderson

Jul 1, 2014, 11:27:46 PM7/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The repositories that don't contain GPL code have the l-preview branch, but it is the same as the master branch.  Most notably the settings repo and dialer repo do not have L source.

Evan Anderson

Jul 1, 2014, 11:30:25 PM7/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The GPL license requires them to release those projects with GPL code in them since they have publically released builds with GPL code.

Al Sutton

Jul 2, 2014, 10:06:32 AM7/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

Will the full platform be made available so developers can contribute bug fixes to L before it’s released?

Al.

---

Christopher Price

Jul 2, 2014, 10:34:32 AM7/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think any AOSP major version has ever been made available in pre-release form to the public, at least not since 1.0. Love to know if I'm wrong... just for the history points.

But never a bad time to start a revolution!

;)

Christopher Price

Al Sutton

Jul 2, 2014, 11:24:27 AM7/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
A public preview release is new ground for Android, I’m hoping the community can help stabilise it before it gets it’s public outing.

--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(funkyandroid.com)

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Paul Beeler

Jul 2, 2014, 11:38:43 AM7/2/14
to android-building@googlegroups com

Hi thank you sir.  Great work as always.  I think it's good for a preview especially with DALVIK leaving and ART coming in, app developers will need people like us to test app compatibility with art and report it to the app developers.  I have a feeling though, that many app developers won't test the preview and will not know of the change coming.  So it is up to testers to report app crashes on ART.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Jul 2, 2014, 12:43:47 PM7/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
For history points, 1.5 and 1.6 were available early, and that created lots of problems (e.g. OEMs making product decisions based on what they saw in AOSP which ended up conflicting with the final compatibility definition).

In the current world, with some unscrupulous OEMs shipping very poor devices with Google Play, the last thing I'd want as an application developer would be such OEMs shipping devices with Google Play based on the current state of the L preview.

JBQ

--

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Quéru
Architect, Mobile, Yahoo

Al Sutton

Jul 3, 2014, 1:53:11 AM7/3/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I’ve put a commit log up at https://funkyandroid.com/aosp-KOT49H-LPV79.html

From what I can tell the fork happened shortly after 4.4.2_r1, does that sound right?

Al.

--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(funkyandroid.com)

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Al Sutton

Jul 3, 2014, 1:53:18 AM7/3/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Good point. I’d also hate to see some half-baked devices labelled as running L.

Al.

--
Al Sutton - Funky Android Ltd.
(funkyandroid.com)

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and not necessarily those of Funky Android Limited, it's associates, or it's subsidiaries.

Paul Beeler

Jul 3, 2014, 2:14:00 AM7/3/14
to android-building@googlegroups com

The L preview factory images will work well enough for app developers to test bugs with ART etc :)

Until the source is ready.

Christopher Price

Jul 3, 2014, 10:58:50 AM7/3/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I don’t think anyone would consider Google walling up Android by having an early access license that temporarily prohibits redistribution, especially if such a license is written to automatically lapse the embargo when the release goes final.

Could some foreign crudlet manufacturer duck the embargo? Perhaps, but that can be fixed by stamping a few cautionary warnings into the kernel (a la Windows preview releases) - and the benefits in my mind outweigh the risks. I think it’s a great idea. Along with the same treatment for 4.4W and 4.4TV :-)

P.S. Thanks for the history lesson, by the way.

Christopher Price

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.

Glenn Kasten

Jul 3, 2014, 11:03:37 AM7/3/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm one of the volunteer moderators.  I just want to remind everyone
that android-building is a forum for discussion of technical topics
related to building the AOSP distribution for AOSP-supported targets.

This particular thread is wandering into non-technical areas,
and this group android-building is not the best place for such topics.

On Thursday, July 3, 2014 7:58:50 AM UTC-7, Christopher Price wrote:
I don’t think anyone would consider Google walling up Android by having an early access license that temporarily prohibits redistribution, especially if such a license is written to automatically lapse the embargo when the release goes final.

Could some foreign crudlet manufacturer duck the embargo? Perhaps, but that can be fixed by stamping a few cautionary warnings into the kernel (a la Windows preview releases) - and the benefits in my mind outweigh the risks. I think it’s a great idea. Along with the same treatment for 4.4W and 4.4TV :-)

P.S. Thanks for the history lesson, by the way.

Christopher Price

For more options, visit this group at

---

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Android Building" group.

Chris.Lee

Jul 4, 2014, 4:10:52 AM7/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill

I wanted to get the L-preview source code for nexus 5. and performed below command.
Is it correct way?

repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest  -b l-preview

repo sync

because of my asking, I visited sites for L-preview release of nexus 5 and nexus 10, but branch name is all same, 'l-preview'.

2014년 7월 2일 수요일 오전 9시 53분 33초 UTC+9, Bill Yi 님의 말:

Paul Beeler

Jul 4, 2014, 3:06:24 PM7/4/14
to android-building@googlegroups com

As said previously just use as reference not for platform building.  The source will be out when it's ready..  You can build off of master branch.  That will be the closest to L you can get for now.

---