Nexus 5X built source download from Google (without changes), does not produce a working radio/modem

Douglas Selph

Nov 16, 2015, 5:14:44 PM11/16/15
to Android Building

I built the AOSP android-6.0.0_r26 as downloaded from google, MDB08M, for Nexus 5X (bullhead), without any modifications.

After boot, it complained that some internal problems about the device. But other than that the phone appears normal except that the RADIO/MODEM does not work.

Things I tried:
  • I tried using TWRP to backup and restore the EFS partition. It was successful but it didn't result in the radio working.
  • I tried flashing the bullhead radio image from the factory (radio-bullhead-m8994f-2.6.28.0.65.img), but it does not work. Not surprising since it is from M8994F, which is way before MdB08M.
At this point it really feels like Google dropped the ball here. There is no way to get a working radio. They provide no binaries for Nexus 5X with this release so there is really nothing that can be done.

Any ideas how I can get the radio/modem to work on the Nexus 5X?

Thanks!

--Doug

Nathan Benis

Nov 27, 2015, 8:38:45 PM11/27/15
to Android Building
ya google is severely dropping the ball when it comes to aosp as of late tere is about 140 proprietary binaries that are not in the vendor.img, as well as the radio not working that is because of a missing symlink from system/vendor to the vendor partition

Will Fairclough

Nov 30, 2015, 5:26:48 PM11/30/15
to Android Building
Hi Nathan,

What is the missing symlink that you mentioned that is preventing the radio from working on the Nexus 5X?

- Will

Will Fairclough

Dec 1, 2015, 12:00:42 PM12/1/15
to Android Building
I figured out the symlink issue. The link was /system/vendor -> /vendor. As well as making the symlink I also need to get all the missing proprietary binaries. I did something similar to this: https://github.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge/tree/cm-13.0/bullhead

- Will

Douglas Selph

Jan 15, 2016, 12:00:33 PM1/15/16
to Android Building
Will, okay following your lead I did the following:
  1. git clone https://github.com/TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_lge.git
  2. git checkout cm-13.0
  3. mkdir <AOSP>/vendor/lge
  4. I did a cp -r of the bullhead sources to vendor/lge.
  5. I did a make.
  6. I got this error:

    No private recovery resources for TARGET_DEVICE bullhead
    build/core/tasks/vendor_module_check.mk:63: *** Error: vendor PRODUCT_COPY_FILES file "vendor/lge/bullhead/proprietary/lib64/libimscamera_jni.so:system/lib64/libimscamera_jni.so" has unknown owner.  Stop.
Note: I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with the /system/vendor->vendor link comment. I am supposed to go onto the actual device and make this link? Or is there a source code solution for this?
?
Thanks,
Doug

Will Fairclough

Jan 19, 2016, 2:24:00 PM1/19/16
to Android Building
Doug, I am not sure about the error you are seeing but I can help you with the symlink. I found CyanogenMod had made a fix to the build project to redirect modules made for vendor to by placed in system since we are using a prebuild vendor.img:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_build/commit/47aaaa704a56f37889a8b54498fbb7daf9a6de30

Also in the device tree you will need to modify the TARGET_COPY_OUT_VENDOR flag to point to system:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_lge_bullhead/commit/60a366e9e6f48c5997376185cc2efa16aff93604#diff-78ec901c9c29ef6a20b79592fd93f941

After these changes a symlink from /system/vendor -> /vendor will be created on the device and all modules that would normally be placed in the vendor image will be placed in system instead.

- Will