Android 6.0 Marshmallow Released

Bill Yi

Oct 5, 2015, 6:51:31 PM10/5/15
to Android Building
Hi all,

Android 6.0 Marshmallow source code is now available on the marshmallow-release
branch.  The following builds, tags, and devices are supported:
- MRA58K, android-6.0.0_r1, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (flo/deb), Nexus 9 (volantis/volantisg), and Nexus Player

The corresponding factory image and proprietary binaries are available at

Over the next week, we'll also merge Marshmallow into AOSP master and push a reference marshmallow-dev branch. Corresponding kernel updates will also be posted within the this week.  I'll update this post when each of these become available.

Thanks!

bill

carlo

Oct 6, 2015, 9:55:27 AM10/6/15
to Android Building
Thank you very much to all the team.

Xiangyang Guo

Oct 6, 2015, 9:55:27 AM10/6/15
to Android Building
From the makefile, it seems ART_USE_OPTIMIZING_COMPILER is not enabled by default. Can we just simply set ART_USE_OPTIMIZING_COMPILER to true to use optimize compiler? Or optimizing compiler is still under development and not stable?

Thanks,

Xiangyang

Bill Yi

Oct 6, 2015, 1:49:25 PM10/6/15
to Android Building
We have pushed a reference marshmallow-dev branch and merged Marshmallow into AOSP master.

We also pushed the kernel updates. The following are the tags, projects, branches, and devices supported:
android-6.0.0_r0.1, kernel/msm, android-msm-flo-3.4-marshmallow, Nexus 7 (flo)
android-6.0.0_r0.2, kernel//x86_64, android-x86_64-fugu-3.10-marshmallow, Nexus Player
android-6.0.0_r0.3, kernel/tegra, android-tegra-flounder-3.10-marshmallow, Nexus 9 (volantis/volantisg)
android-6.0.0_r0.4, kernel/msm, android-msm-hammerhead-3.4-marshmallow, Nexus 5
android-6.0.0_r0.5, kernel/msm, android-msm-shamu-3.10-marshmallow, Nexus 6
android-6.0.0_r0.6, kernel/mediatek, android-mediatek-sprout-3.10-marshmallow, Sprout

bill

palmcorp

Oct 7, 2015, 7:23:43 PM10/7/15
to Android Building
Bill, thanks for the heads up.  Factory images work in Nexus 7 fine.  Have started the build of MRA58K but don't find any specific build instructions. Are  there any differences from v5?

pjt

Oct 8, 2015, 9:32:49 AM10/8/15
to Android Building
I've built the 6.0.0-r1 for shamu, and used the binaries for the mra58k, but when I boot it up it says "Sim card not recognized" and  "Baseband unkown". Is this a flub or a new policy. Until now you could use your AOSP build and use your phone as a phone.

Ron M

Oct 8, 2015, 9:32:52 AM10/8/15
to Android Building
No difference, as in previous versions, and years.
If you build multiple different versions just make sure you don't mess up the Java environment.
To be on the safe side (unless you know what you're doing/want a specific version)
unset JAVA_HOME && . build/envsetup.sh && lunch <whatever-variant> && make -j<whatever>

David Hacker

Oct 8, 2015, 6:47:16 PM10/8/15
to Android Building
Did you flash the updated modem image for M?

pjt

Oct 9, 2015, 9:47:45 AM10/9/15
to Android Building
Yes I did. As a lot of others on XDA. So far they have figured it out that libsysutils_local.so and libxml2.so are missing making rild unable to start. They say there's still problem with data though. That's why I asked if it is flub or policy.

Bill Yi

Oct 19, 2015, 6:36:43 PM10/19/15
to Android Building
We have posted the factory images for Nexus 5X (bullhead) on
The source will be available in the coming weeks.

bill

Bill Yi

Oct 26, 2015, 5:06:54 PM10/26/15
to Android Building
We have posted the factory images for Nexus 6P (angler) on

Bill Yi

Oct 26, 2015, 6:24:52 PM10/26/15
to Android Building
We have posted the factory image and proprietary binaries for Nexus 7 (flo) on

bill

jal jeeera

Oct 27, 2015, 10:07:24 AM10/27/15
to Android Building
I am having a same problem too.
I am trying building the Marshmallow Code for Nexus 6.
When i flash the Factory Image, everything works fine.

But when i flash the ROM built with AOSP code built for Nexus 6(aosp_shamu-userdebug)

Although it shows:
     Bootloader Version....
     Baseband Version....
    Serial Number.......
 while flashing perfectly

But after flashing SIM doesn't get recognized, shows Baseband version unknown.

Until earlier with 5.1.0 it was great, everything used to work find with the same procedure.

Is there any changes in build instructions specifically for Marshmallow.

Please help.

David Hacker

Oct 27, 2015, 4:04:18 PM10/27/15
to Android Building
This is really outside of the scope of this list, but if you add libxml2.so and libsysutils-local.so to your build radio will work.  Not sure if there was some conflict on licensing that these couldn't be included in the proprietary-blobs or if it was just an oversight.

jal jeeera

Oct 28, 2015, 4:33:22 PM10/28/15
to Android Building
Hey Thanks, The issue is solved i need to build out the  libxml2.so and libsysutils-local.so , meanwhile i took these from factory image and that worked. Earlier i was seeing libxml2.so and  libsysutils-local.so in "logcat -b radio".I copied these to /system/vendor/libs/ folder now the thing seems to be working,probably it was an oversight as libxml2 as it  is already there external folder and getting build as static library for other binaries.

Thanks

Nathan Benis

Nov 2, 2015, 7:02:06 PM11/2/15
to Android Building
what is going on with the new marshmallow-dr-release, are you guys splitting things up again like lollipop?

Hortz Mac

Nov 3, 2015, 10:40:09 AM11/3/15
to Android Building
Hi Bill,

Thanks for pushing new Tags in AOSP.

but you know...
could you please put a meaningful tag name to each branches, but not useless incremental serial number?
We have been confused since lollipop.

2015年10月6日火曜日 7時51分31秒 UTC+9 Bill Yi:

Bill Yi

Nov 3, 2015, 2:24:35 PM11/3/15
to Android Building
New marshmallow builds are now available on the marshmallow-release
branch.  The following builds, tags, and devices are supported:
- MRA58N, android-6.0.0_r2, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (flo/deb), Nexus 9 (volantis/volantisg), and Nexus Player
- MRA58U, android-6.0.0_r4, Nexus 7 (flo)
- MRA58V, android-6.0.0_r5, Nexus 7 (flo/deb)

The corresponding factory image and proprietary binaries are available at

We also pushed a kernel project for the Marshmallow release.
tags, projects, branches, and devices
android-6.0.0_r0.9, kernel/msm, android-msm-seed-3.10-marshmallow, seed

bill

Bill Yi

Nov 3, 2015, 4:46:20 PM11/3/15
to Android Building
New marshmallow builds are now available on the marshmallow-dr-release
branch.  The following builds, tags, and devices are supported:
- MDA89D, android-6.0.0_r11, Nexus 6P
- MDA89E, android-6.0.0_r12, Nexus 5X
- MDB08I, android-6.0.0_r23, Nexus 5X
- MDB08K, android-6.0.0_r24, Nexus 6P
- MDB08L, android-6.0.0_r25, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P
- MDB08M, android-6.0.0_r26, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P

The corresponding factory images are available at

We have merged marshmallow-dr into AOSP master and pushed a reference marshmallow-dr-dev branch.

We pushed the kernel projects for the marshmallow-dr release.
tags, projects, branches, and devices
android-6.0.0_r0.8, kernel/msm, android-msm-bullhead-3.10-marshmallow-dr, bullhead
android-6.0.0_r0.10, kernel/msm, android-msm-angler-3.10-marshmallow-dr, angler

bill

pip...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2015, 12:18:40 PM11/6/15
to Android Building
Hello, it seems Nexus 6 (shamu) got a new Factory image MRA58R, which should correspond to android-6.0.0_r3 which is missing from AOSP.
Can you please confirm and if so, is there any plan to release the android-6.0.0_r3 branch on AOSP?
Thanks.

Scott Fan

Nov 6, 2015, 2:30:07 PM11/6/15
to android-building
When will their proprietary binaries available?
Thanks

Scott Fan

---

vishalm

Nov 6, 2015, 2:42:22 PM11/6/15
to Android Building
What's the difference between marshmallow-release and marshmallow-dr-release branches?
I can see that marshmallow-dr-release is only for new Nexus devices.

For development purposes, which branch should we follow.
Also, what does "dr" in that branch name stands for?

Glenn Kasten

Nov 7, 2015, 11:10:27 PM11/7/15
to Android Building
See https://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html#source-code-tags-and-builds
Build MDx##y off branch marshmallow-dr-release is for Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P.
Build MRA##z off branch marshmallow-release is for all other devices.

Scott Fan

Nov 9, 2015, 10:10:53 AM11/9/15
to android-building
Me, too

Scott Fan

Bill Yi

Nov 9, 2015, 11:59:08 AM11/9/15
to Android Building

Bill Yi

Nov 9, 2015, 11:59:37 AM11/9/15
to Android Building

Hamilton Turner

Nov 9, 2015, 3:01:53 PM11/9/15
to Android Building
From what I understand, google won't be hosting the vendor binaries for 5X/6P because all vendor code is contained on a separate vendor partition, and therefore no longer needs to be baked into the system.img at build time. You can rebuild the system and reflash all without touching vendor partition

Best,
Hamilton

Yida Wang

Nov 12, 2015, 9:56:51 PM11/12/15
to Android Building
My build of MDB08M, android-6.0.0_r26 for Nexus 5X bullhead has the unknown baseband problem. SIM card can't be recognized. Any solution to this problem?

David Hacker

Nov 13, 2015, 8:21:47 AM11/13/15
to Android Building
AOSP does not build the vendor image and therefore does not create the symlink from /vendor to /system/vendor during the build.  Many of the hals and libs are looking for files under system/vendor.  You can use a change similar to this in platform_build git to fix it https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_build/commit/5edc9e08ca395769f975dd817c38784a68b166b5

Yida Wang

Nov 15, 2015, 9:21:14 AM11/15/15
to Android Building
Thanks David for your reply. I've done that and I can verify from adb shell that the symlink is created. However, I still have the same unknown baseband issue.

Cherma Rajan

Nov 16, 2015, 11:47:54 AM11/16/15
to Android Building
Android MediaFrameworkTest CTS has build issue. Build was failing with following error

make: Entering directory `/media/android-6.0.0_r1' make: *** No rule to make target 'out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/easymocklib_intermediates/classes.jack', needed by 'out/target/common/obj/APPS/mediaframeworktest_intermediates/with-local/classes.dex'. Stop.

This behaviour is observed in android-6.0.0_r1 code with aosp_hammerhead-userdebug make option. Someone please help me to solve this issue.

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 04:21:31 UTC+5:30, Bill Yi wrote:
Hi all,

Android 6.0 Marshmallow source code is now available on the marshmallow-release
branch.  The following builds, tags, and devices are supported:
- MRA58K, android-6.0.0_r1, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (flo/deb), Nexus 9 (volantis/volantisg), and Nexus Player

The corresponding factory image and proprietary binaries are available at

Bill Yi

Dec 7, 2015, 4:44:02 PM12/7/15
to Android Building
A new marshmallow build is now available on the marshmallow-release branch. The following build, tag, and device is supported:
- MRA58X, android-6.0.0_r6, Nexus 6

The corresponding factory images are available at

Bill Yi

Dec 7, 2015, 5:54:48 PM12/7/15
to Android Building
A new marshmallow build is now available. The following build, tag, and device is supported:
- MMB29N, android-6.0.0_r41, Nexus 6P

The corresponding factory image is available at

The kernel source can be found on android-msm-angler-3.10-marshmallow-dr branch in the kernel/msm project with tag android-6.0.0_r0.13.

bill

Joshua J. Drake

Dec 9, 2015, 9:09:38 PM12/9/15
to Android Building
Hi Bill,

I'm not sure if it's still a work in progress or what, but android-6.0.0_r6 is not pushed as stated.

jal jeeera

Dec 11, 2015, 10:01:25 AM12/11/15
to Android Building
Did you find the solution of this problem, i have had the same issue even after the symlink change.
and worse is , i updated/took the whole code again and flashed the binaries leaving the vendor.img and now my phone is not even getting booted. Stucked on android logo.

please write if you find anything on this.
Thanks

Bill Yi

Dec 15, 2015, 10:23:26 PM12/15/15
to Android Building
A new marshmallow build is now available on the marshmallow-release branch. The following build, tag, and device is supported:
- MRA59B, android-6.0.0_r7, Nexus 7 (deb)

The corresponding factory image and proprietary binaries are available at