Re: [android-building] nexus7 grouper fastboot flashall protocol error

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 20, 2012, 11:16:37 AM8/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That's odd, I've never heard of any such problems. Hopefully someone
on this group will have some idea.

JBQ

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Stephen Damm <shinha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What can be the causes of this? I have a factory reset, bootloader freshly
> unlocked Nexus 7. I have compiled Android in Ubuntu 12.04 successfully.
>
> I go to run the fastboot -w flashall command and it attempts to first flash
> boot and fails with "protocol error".
>
> I'm stumped. I grabbed the Nexus7 ToolKit floating around and it has no
> trouble flashing things onto the same Nexus 7, it is using fastboot
> internally.
>
> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Aug 20, 2012, 2:52:27 PM8/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I was about to suggest exactly that. You're not the first one running
into such issues. We've been finding that fastboot pushes things
harder and/or has fewer capabilities to deal with errors (possibly
because the device-side fastboot USB stack are simplified). Using good
USB cables helps.

JBQ

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM, halsafar <shinha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arg. I changed the USB cable to the one the device came with and it works
> now, everytime. I can confirm it does not work on the other usb cable,
> fastboot can't write with the usb b1 cable. Unusual. I guess not all micro
> usb cables are the same.
>

> On Monday, 20 August 2012 12:42:49 UTC-6, halsafar wrote:
>>
>> Alright here is some information. The results are the same with the
>> factory image downloaded from google or my own compiled one. Again if I use
>> Nexus7 ToolKit in Windows it can successfully flash the stock image.
>>
>> Yes the bootloader is unlocked.
>>

>> fastboot devices
>> 015d172c73441810 fastboot
>>
>> fastboot flash system out/target/product/grouper/system.img
>> sending 'system' (183819 KB)...
>> FAILED (data transfer failure (Protocol error))
>> finished. total time: 0.890s
>>

>> Then after that happens. Simply trying again yields a worse error and
>> requires the bootloader to be restarted.
>> fastboot flash system out/target/product/grouper/system.img
>> sending 'system' (183819 KB)...
>> FAILED (remote: (Nv3pBadReceiveLength))
>> finished. total time: 0.000s
>>
>> The results are the same with boot:
>> fastboot flash boot out/target/product/grouper/boot.img
>> sending 'boot' (4890 KB)...
>> FAILED (data transfer failure (Protocol error))
>> finished. total time: 0.310s
>>

>> On Monday, 20 August 2012 12:00:36 UTC-6, JF Dionne wrote:
>>>

>>> I never did a fastboot flashall Will definitely try and post back here my
>>> results.
>>>
>>> Can you try flashing step by step to see what happens ?

Jean-Francois Blanchard-Dionne

Aug 20, 2012, 2:52:13 PM8/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know

Stuff like that happens !

Jento Pieters

Jun 26, 2014, 8:46:03 PM6/26/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Ooohh thank you! I was about to install android L on my Nexus 7, but ran into that issue. (I was using a cheap 3€ cable), I used my old cable and it worked perfectly. Now it's booting :)!

Bryce Walter

Nicholas M

Jun 27, 2014, 2:44:15 PM6/27/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Not completely true. It might charge and transfer files just fine, however, in order to use tools like fastboot, the vendor ID for the USB cable has to match the vendor of the device.

Nicholas M

Jun 27, 2014, 2:46:51 PM6/27/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Refer to the "51-android.rules" file for more info.

Bryce Walter

Jun 29, 2014, 9:29:15 PM6/29/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com

The Vendor/Device ID are device bound..... Not cable bound.

Bryce Walter

On Jun 28, 2014 4:00 PM, "Nicholas M" <thefasc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not completely true. It might charge and transfer files just fine, however, in order to use tools like fastboot, the vendor ID for the USB cable has to match the vendor of the device.

---

andrew_esh

Jul 2, 2014, 10:27:44 AM7/2/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, and fastboot displays a different vendor and product ID than when booted into the android OS. Recovery also has a different ID. They all need to be recognized by the operating system, so make sure they are in 51-android.rules, or whatever list is right for your environment.

Andy Hillman

Nov 24, 2014, 1:02:23 AM11/24/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I used the same cable but switched to a different USB port and that did the trick