s.a.c documentation updates for Android 5.0

Glenn Kasten

Nov 3, 2014, 8:07:59 PM11/3/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com

AOSP builders,

We are pleased to announce new documentation accompanying the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) release. As always, source.android.com is your home for the latest information as the new Android version is launched. Here is a summary of changes to the site for Android 5.0.

Audio

A new Attributes page explains how to use the new audio attribute API. The audio system uses these attributes to make mixing decisions and notify applications about the state of the system. And USB Digital Audio describes the USB digital audio internals on Android. The revised Accessories section now contains a Wired audio headset specification.

Camera

The Camera team describes its version support, including the feature flags to allow Play Store filtering of Camera API2 camera apps.

Security

Encryption instructions have been updated to reflect all of the latest features in Android 5.0, including fast encryption, the forceencrypt flag to encrypt on first boot, hardware-backed storage of the encryption key, and more.

Security-Enhanced Linux documentation has been expanded and split apart (from one page to five) to help partners more easily implement full enforcement. The documents now include detailed implementation instructions and detailed examples of customization.

In addition, the Security team lists new enhancements and acknowledgements.

Sensors

Sensors material on has been completely overhauled and expanded (from four pages to 10) to better describe use and catalog new sensors, such as interaction composite sensors intended to capture user gestures. Power consumption is covered separately, while the HAL interface is explored in detail.

TV

Android begins support for televisions with the TV Input Framework (TIF) that simplifies the delivery of live content to Android TV and the HDMI-CEC control service to allow interaction of connected devices with minimal compatibility issues. And TV Audio explains how to transfer the TIF AudioPort information for the audio routing API.

Hardware Abstraction Layer

The Hardware Abstraction Layer documentation has been updated for Android 5.0 and also restructured to better resemble the rest of the site.

Trade Federation test suite

Trade Federation package references have been updated for the first time since KitKat.

Navigation improvements
The Accessories and Devices tabs were restructured in navigation to ease use.

Feedback
Please reply here with any errors, broken links, missing information, or suggestions for improvement.

Thank you,
The Android team

Nikolay Elenkov

Nov 4, 2014, 1:16:33 AM11/4/14
On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Glenn Kasten <gka...@android.com> wrote:

> Encryption instructions have been updated to reflect all of the latest
> features in Android 5.0, including fast encryption, the forceencrypt flag to
> encrypt on first boot, hardware-backed storage of the encryption key, and
> more.

No downloadable source yet, but in

http://source.android.com/devices/tech/encryption/index.html:

IK1 (step 2) and IK3 (step 5) are probably 32 bytes each (and not 16-byte),
otherwise the numbers don't quite add up.

Sean Ashmore

Nov 4, 2014, 5:10:29 AM11/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I see isochronous transfer is now supported in the usb audio section but looking at android.hardware.usb.UsbConstants it still says "currently not supported". Has this just not been updated? I realize it states that there are no specific USB Audio APIs but this is a little confusing. Thanks.

Glenn Kasten

Nov 4, 2014, 10:42:33 AM11/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for reporting this.  I'm not familiar with this myself,
so I'm asking our subject matter experts to review and update as necessary.

Glenn Kasten

Nov 4, 2014, 11:04:02 AM11/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for asking about isochronous transfer.
As we have another thread already going in the android-ndk group
about the host mode USB audio implementation
I will answer your question here instead, soon after the source code push is announced.

Glenn Kasten

Nov 4, 2014, 7:43:27 PM11/4/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Nikolay, thank you again for reporting the error. It is now corrected,
but may take a while for the old version to be flushed from caches.

bila...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 12:15:30 PM5/26/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Glenn,

Can you kindly tell me where I would be able to find the documentation of the newly added RIL APIs in Android 5 like:

RIL_REQUEST_ALLOW_DATA
RIL_REQUEST_SHUTDOWN etc.

thanks,

Regards,