fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: git:

strags

Feb 2, 2011, 1:52:05 PM2/2/11
to Android Building

I'm following the instructions here: http://source.android.com/source/download.html
and getting the following error:

$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
Getting repo ...
from git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git
* [new tag] v1.7 -> v1.7
* [new tag] v1.7.1 -> v1.7.1
* [new tag] v1.7.2 -> v1.7.2
* [new tag] v1.7.3 -> v1.7.3
fatal: protocol error: bad line length character: git:

$ git --
version
git version 1.7.0.4

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS (32-bit) - any advice would be much
appreciated.

pendo

Feb 2, 2011, 2:25:55 PM2/2/11
to Android Building
I've been getting that for the last ~12 hrs or so, too. At first I
thought something on my end might've gotten messed up since I resized
the partition that my Linux vm is on, but I also had the same thing
when I tried on the backup I made. Plus since the error occurs at
different spots every time, I figured it's a server issue....probably
just over-worked.

I get it during repo sync.

Edgard Castro

Feb 2, 2011, 3:05:24 PM2/2/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
This is usually problem with connectivity. Maybe kernel.org is having problems right now. Try later. :)

strags

Feb 2, 2011, 3:38:04 PM2/2/11
to Android Building

Yep - seems to be all good now. (Although it looks like the sync is
going to take *many* hours!).