Pixel C (dragon) Images will not boot

Aisling Vasey

Nov 21, 2016, 10:56:45 AM11/21/16
to Android Building
Hi all

I have the master branch synced and included these device drivers: google_devices-dragon-mxc89l-5452d463.tgz and nvidia-dragon-mxc89l-7dd0c758.tgz in the vendor folder.

Machine is Ubuntu 14.04.

Build commands performed as follows:
repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
repo sync
deploy <vendor specific files as above> by running scripts and accepting licenses
make clobber
export JACK_SERVER_VM_ARGUMENTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx8g"
./prebuilts/sdk/tools/jack-admin kill-server
./prebuilts/sdk/tools/jack-admin start-server
source build/envsetup.sh
lunch aosp_dragon-eng
make
#### make completed successfully (05:43:18 (hh:mm:ss)) ####

The resulting images will not boot the tablet. It hangs at the white Google logo screen. Please can anyone suggest how to trouble shoot this issue?

I tried to run the emulator from the build but get this error:
   emulator: ERROR: Can't find 'Linux version ' string in kernel image file: /home/aisling/AndroidSource/out/target/product/dragon/kernel

I am unsure if the issue is the same for both the tablet and the emulator.  What steps have I missed out please in my build?

Thanks very much
Aisling

Aisling Vasey

Nov 24, 2016, 9:57:48 AM11/24/16
to Android Building
Resolved as in I got an Android 7 build booting on the Pixel C tablet.

I was using Kubuntu 14.04 so I tried Ubuntu 14.04 and using branch android-7.0.0_r7 (not master).

I got the same error when trying to run the emulator after a clean build (ERROR: Can't find 'Linux version ' string in kernel image file: ...).

But decided to ignore that. I tried to install the images using the build's flashboot, it had the usual USB permission issue but none of the suggested fixes worked. (Also the idProduct seems to change each time the tablet is plugged into the laptop - not sure what idProduct is actually for the Pixel C.)
I forced the issue by chmod on the corresponding USB dev bus so that I could get fastboot working and successfully installed the build's img files and the tablet booted fine.

So it could of been master vs branch.
Or USB permissions issues.
But the process works.