How To Get The Logs Of ROM Building Process To Get Help From Community

Srinivasa Raju Mudunuri

Apr 8, 2018, 3:43:21 PM4/8/18
to Android Building
Hello,

I'm new to Android ROM development, after going through few tutorials over XDA & other sites and after watching some YouTube videos on how to build Android ROM from source, I tried building a ROM from its sources. But I encountered errors & my attempts were failed in building the ROM from its sources. I tried to get help from some online groups about the error by showing them the last few lines that I could copy from the SSH session, but they said they need more logs(build logs & source logs), but being a completely new to Android ROM development I don't know where do those logs get saved when building Android ROMs from sources. Do the logs(output) of Android ROM building process get saved by default? or Do we need to pass some special parameters to the build process starting commands?. Can any one shed some light for me on this??.

Regards.

Glenn Kasten

Apr 8, 2018, 3:47:57 PM4/8/18
to Android Building
When you do the repo sync, redirect stdout and stderr and then grep for errors to make sure you got the full source code:
   repo sync [other options] >& sync.log
Likewise when you do the build:
   make [other options] >& build.log
Examine the build log for errors. Don't share the full logs
by either attaching them or including inline,
they are usually far too long.  Just include the relevant
error lines and enough context to be able to understand.