How to run the ranchu emulators

John Floren

Jul 7, 2016, 8:14:04 PM7/7/16
to Android Building
I'd really like to run AOSP in the "new" ranchu emulators (I put "new" in scare quotes because it came out in 2014, it's just that there's been scarce mention since then). Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work; I'd appreciate some sanity checks.

I checked out the AOSP source.

Ran "lunch" and selected mini_emulator_x86_64-userdebug

Ran "make -j8"

It finished successfully.

I expected that running ./prebuilts/android-emulator/linux-x86_64/emulator64-ranchu-x86_64 would be the next step. If I run it, a black QEMU screen comes up but never draws anything. If I do "ps aux | grep emulator" I see qemu running with a bunch of correct-seeming arguments.

Can anyone else confirm that they have successfully built and run AOSP in the ranchu emulators? Am I missing a step?

Thanks

John

John Floren

Jul 11, 2016, 9:25:36 PM7/11/16
to Android Building
Well, I got this to work by selecting 'lunch aosp_x86_64-eng' and running plain 'emulator' rather than the specific emulator64-ranchu-x86_64. This pops up a window that quickly boots into Android, however my keyboard doesn't work and there's no 'skin' to emulate the hardware buttons, nor can I figure out how to show back/home/menu at the bottom of the screen.

john