Building Android KitKat on 32 bit machine(ubuntu 10.04)

Pradeep VR

Apr 11, 2014, 1:10:24 PM4/11/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends am trying to build KitKat on 32 bit ubuntu 10.04 and getting below error:

host StaticLib: libandroidfw (out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libandroidfw_intermediates/libandroidfw.a)
ERROR: prebuilts/tools/gcc-sdk/../../gcc/linux-x86/host/x86_64-linux-glibc2.7-4.6/bin/x86_64-linux-ar only run on 64-bit linux
make: *** [out/host/linux-x86/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libandroidfw_intermediates/libandroidfw.a] Error 1

As suggested in this post https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/android-building/mlgtBY6a_BU I changed my build/core/config.mk as in below but could not succeed.

HOST_JDK_TOOLS_JAR :=
else
HOST_JDK_TOOLS_JAR:= $(shell $(BUILD_SYSTEM)/find-jdk-tools-jar.sh)
ifeq ($(wildcard $(HOST_JDK_TOOLS_JAR)),)
$(error Error: could not find jdk tools.jar, please install JDK6, \
    which you can download from java.sun.com)
endif
endif

# Is the host JDK 64-bit version?
#HOST_JDK_IS_64BIT_VERSION :=
#ifneq ($(filter 64-Bit, $(shell java -version 2>&1)),)
#HOST_JDK_IS_64BIT_VERSION := true
#endif
#Commented above to support 32 bit machine

# It's called md5 on Mac OS and md5sum on Linux
ifeq ($(HOST_OS),darwin)
MD5SUM:=md5 -q
else
MD5SUM:=md5sum
endif

Thanks,
Pradeep.

Glenn Kasten

Apr 11, 2014, 1:21:40 PM4/11/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
That is an obsolete post.  See bullet 2 of http://source.android.com/source/building.html

Paul Beeler

Apr 11, 2014, 1:25:41 PM4/11/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com

You'd have to build 32 bit toolchains for host and arm.  Or if someone has some built already it might work.  Host toolchain version should gcc 4.6

---

Pradeep VR

Apr 12, 2014, 6:10:38 AM4/12/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Is it not possible to build the code by tweaking/modifying build scripts with existing host and toolchain? I used to build GingerBread by modifying some build scripts, hope we can build KitKat in the same way.

Pradeep.

Pradeep VR

Apr 14, 2014, 7:13:36 AM4/14/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Before this I had built GingerBread by modifying some build scripts. Is it possible to build the KitKat just by editing some build scripts?

Pradeep

Vishveshwar

Apr 15, 2014, 2:50:24 AM4/15/14
On Monday, April 14, 2014 4:43:36 PM UTC+5:30, Pradeep VR wrote:
Before this I had built GingerBread by modifying some build scripts. Is it possible to build the KitKat just by editing some build scripts?

Earlier, AOSP used to contain the 32-bit toolchain. This is not present from the JellyBean release onwards. Only tweaking the build scripts would not do the job anymore.

-Vishveshwar

Pradeep VR

Apr 15, 2014, 10:27:17 AM4/15/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vishveshwar, will try it on 64-bit ubuntu.

Pradeep.