out/soong/.bootstrap/soong-finder/test/test hangs at the end of the build

Dominik Helleberg

Aug 19, 2017, 3:10:43 PM8/19/17
to Android Building
Hi,

I'm building master branch for the hikey960 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Everything seems to compile until the end, the system image is build, after that the build seems to hang.
I found a "test" process running on one core. After some debugging I figured out that the the following command seems to be the root cause:

out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/gotestrunner -p ./build/soong/finder -f out/soong/.bootstrap/soong-finder/test/test.passed -- out/soong/.bootstrap/soong-finder/test/test -test.short

I haven't notice these things on earlier android releases and I'm wondering what's going on here.
Any hints or ideas?

Thanks for any help and have a nice weekend
Dominik

paldan

Aug 20, 2017, 10:45:05 PM8/20/17
to Android Building
Same issue for me, but I found that the images seem to be properly created and working fine.

Regards,
Daniele

Sahaj Sarup

Aug 22, 2017, 10:24:17 AM8/22/17
to Android Building
Same here

jeffry...@google.com

Aug 22, 2017, 5:44:08 PM8/22/17
to Android Building
We added the finder just recently in https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/build/soong/+/456378 , so that'd be why it hasn't happened before.

If you run `m -j blueprint_tools` does that also hang? (if so, then that should be a faster way to test it).

Do you find that it reliably hangs or only sometimes hangs?

If you run that command on its own does it produce any helpful output?

If it doesn't produce any helpful output, you could modify line 53 of build/soong/finder/finder_test.go so that instead of saying

'logger := log.New(ioutil.Discard, "", 0)'

it says

'logger := log.New(os.Stdout, "", 0)'

and then retest it (`m -j blueprint_tools`).

You could temporarily delete tests from build/soong/finder/finder_test.go until it stops hanging, in order to determine specifically which test is hanging.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem too.

jeffry...@google.com

Aug 22, 2017, 5:44:08 PM8/22/17
to Android Building
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this.

I think I've now fixed the problem. Could any of you let me know whether https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/build/soong/+/464918 causes your tests to not hang?

Thanks

Sahaj Sarup

Aug 23, 2017, 10:34:46 AM8/23/17
to Android Building
thanks, works well now!
I guess it was related to low nproc, as most of the people I have asked had more than 8 threads.
I just have 4.

Dominik Helleberg

Aug 24, 2017, 10:37:32 AM8/24/17
to Android Building
Works like a charm, thanks for quickly solving the problem!