Aosp calendar

Jesse Godsey

Dec 26, 2011, 11:55:38 AM12/26/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Can you shed light on why the Aosp calendar app does not offer up sync within settings ???

On Dec 21, 2011 3:57 PM, "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <j...@android.com> wrote:
We've made a few changes to work around the differences between the
Oracle JDK and OpenJDK, and those changes are now in the AOSP master
branch.

Those changes seem to be enough to build the system (including user
builds, which is where we had the most trouble). It's not clear
whether the result actually works, and so far CTS seems to fail in
ways that aren't expected.

Right now the JDK version check is still in place, so if it trips on
OpenJDK it can be removed by changing the appropriate location in
build/core.

Feedback welcome.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 27, 2011, 1:02:16 PM12/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
The Google Sync Adapters are proprietary and are not included in AOSP.

JBQ

Jesse Godsey

Dec 27, 2011, 1:06:47 PM12/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Contacts work though..  Why even include calendar then ??

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 27, 2011, 1:09:07 PM12/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that Calendar works fine on its own. IIRC Calendar is also
part of the public API, so it really needs to be included in AOSP so
that compatible devices can be built from AOSP.

JBQ

Jesse Godsey

Dec 27, 2011, 1:12:44 PM12/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Ok so let me understand this.  Contacts aosp syncs fine, but calendar aosp will not.  And in order for calendar to sync, you need to add something ?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Dec 27, 2011, 1:16:16 PM12/27/11
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that neither the Google Contacts sync adapter nor any
of the underlying Google services it uses are included in AOSP, so
you're probably looking at something else (Exchange or IMAP, maybe?)

JBQ

James Peterson

Mar 7, 2012, 12:15:03 PM3/7/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
He is not mistaken.  aosp calendar does not have the ability to sync anymore.  I have mentioned this on forums and multiple posts throughout and have been denied and answer.  Prior to 4.0 (I never worked with 3.x) the calendar sync adapter was a separate apk from the calendar.  This is the same for contacts as well.  As of 4.0 (can't speak for 3.x) the google calendar sync adaptor is built into the calendar apk that google supplies.

So..   An aosp build.  The aosp calendar will not sync unless the google supplied calendar is included and used in the build.  Prior to this, only the sync adapters where required to be added to the build.  What this does is cause confusion if calendar mods are made, because the google supplied calendar "HAS" to be included in the build.  Thus leaving 2 practically identical calendars on the phone.  The only way to get by the confusion is to break down, repackage the calendar with a different name and icons to that you can tell them apart.

There is a reason for google decision to do this.  Explain it and I will leave it at that.  But please do not tell myself and others that we are mistaken.

>> > --

>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.
>>
>> --

>> http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>
> --

> For more options, visit this group at

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

>> > --

>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>>

>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.
>>
>> --

>> http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>
> --

> For more options, visit this group at

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 20, 2012, 4:46:31 PM3/20/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for digging into this. That seems to make sense to me.

JBQ

>> > --

>> > android-buildi...@googlegroups.com

>> > --

>> > android-buildi...@googlegroups.com

>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/android-building?hl=en
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
>> Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.
>>
>> Questions sent directly to me that have no reason for being private
>> will likely get ignored or forwarded to a public forum with no further
>> warning.
>
> --

> android-buildi...@googlegroups.com

James Peterson

May 9, 2012, 3:58:21 PM5/9/12
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but has any light been shed on this topic.