Android Shamu kernel building

Anup Warnulkar

Feb 1, 2015, 4:16:34 AM2/1/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com
I need to modify Shamu msm kernel to enable loading of driver modules.
When i try using the below flags in shamu_defconfig, I get build errors.

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD=y
CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD=y
CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD=y

Is there any dependency for enabled module load in Shamu kernel ?

Thanks,
Anup

Paul Beeler

Feb 1, 2015, 6:25:01 PM2/1/15
to android-...@googlegroups.com

I think you'd need a few things.

Most likely a Android.mk file to install the kernel modules into the system image.  I don't have any good examples of what that'd look like though.

Also a unix utility like busybox ported to android to work for this.  You'd need to do a one time install after flashing the factory images with the modules built in.  Something like this:

busybox insmod /system/lib/modules/name.ko

This would only be a one time.  The other thingsmd you'd need is a startup script on boot to load the modules.  Something like:

busybox modprobe name

Note for modprobe you don't use .ko after they are installed.

The problem with this is most of the time is busybox will need root access to install the modules into the live system.

---