No proprietary binaries for Nexus5x/6p? (Flashing the build AOSP freezes at Android logo)

eddyxd

Feb 2, 2016, 1:22:14 PM2/2/16
to Android Building

I am trying to build AOSP for Nexus5x/6p. I follow the steps athttps://source.android.com/source/building.html, and the build is successful. I am sure I select the right target to build, but flashing my built image into my phone (Nexus5x/6p) make them freeze at the booting (keep showing the Android logo). I checked this problem and found it seems like an issue of lack of proprietary binaries (ex: the graphic driver).

However, in the Google's website (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers), there is no those binaries for Nexus5x/6p. Does anyone know how I can get those drivers?

It is also weird that nobody is discussing this issue except one thread (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/android-building/5X/android-building/_XZxkcSrQVI). I got the exact same problem and also tried the mentioned method to flash the vender.img but it doesn't work at all.

I found CyanogenMod (https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Development) has a secret script seems to extracts those binaries from a rooted device, but not sure it can be used in AOSP. Is it the only way we can do it?

Russell Mowszowski

Feb 2, 2016, 2:23:05 PM2/2/16
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Proprietary binaries are now on the vendor partition. You should flash the vendor.img (fastboot flash vendor vendor.img) from the right version factory image (in a zip in there).

---

eddyxd

Feb 2, 2016, 3:31:24 PM2/2/16
to Android Building
Hi Ruzz,

Thanks for your reply. I saw this solution in other thread also, but it doesn't work for me. Here is what I did:
  1. Build AOSP (target = mda89d)
  2. Flash everything in the out folder (by "fastboot flashall -w")
  3. Download the factory image (named angler-mda89d, and it has been tested working on my device)
  4. Extract the vender.img from the factory image
  5. Flash the vender image by "fastboot flash vender vender.img"
    • (I saw some tricks to use "fasboot flash userdata vender.img", but it also doesn't work)
  6. Boot the phone and it still freezes at the Android logo

One workaround I have got now is to extract the "binaries" by a script provided by CyanogenMod and put the extracted file manually in the build. But this method only works on my Nexus 5x, not 6p. And this workaround seems too tricky to do in most cases.

Could someone explain more about how to get the binary? or how to use the vender.img in a right way to do? I feel surprised that not many people are talking this issue (so this might be just the random issue for few guys?)

Anushree Ganjam

Feb 9, 2016, 1:29:04 AM2/9/16
to Android Building
Hi ,
We downloaded the code for Nexus 6P, MMB29Q .
Source code compilation is success and i flashed the Nexus 6P with all the images(User debug images).
Also flashed vendor.img from MMB29Q factory version.
Now facing below problems.
1. Device is not rooted.

user@user-Latitude-E850:~$ adb shell
shell@angler:/ $

But i need # (Which indicates device is rooted)

2. Sim card is not detected in Nexus 6P after flashing my generated images.
Please help me to solve this problem,

Regards
Anushree

Anushree Ganjam

Feb 10, 2016, 10:16:21 AM2/10/16
to Android Building
Hi,
Rooting problem is solved on Nexus 6P.
we just need to run adb in root mode.
Run the command adb root
Now in adb shell , we can see root@angler:/ #

Now only problem which I am facing is Sim card is not getting detected.

Regards
Anushree

Jinkyu Koo

Apr 25, 2016, 2:04:51 PM4/25/16
to Android Building

Dear eddyxd ,

Is your issue resolved? I think I am following the exactly the same steps as you.
I found the the Google pages are outdated, and do not have enough explanations.

So I wonder if you could share the solution. I am now at the stage where I have finished building platform and kernel.
My next step might be placing the proprietary binaries for Nexus 6P and build them all (??? not sure what to do.)
It will be great if you could share what you have found.

Thanks,
Jinkyu

Francisco P

May 20, 2016, 9:55:59 AM5/20/16
to Android Building
Hi folks,

I had the same issue and I solved it using the script found on this page:

Follow the instructions and you will have a working android image.

Best Regards
FP-