Android Studio, Gradle, ActionBarCompat & NavigationDrawer

Donn Felker

Sep 24, 2013, 2:18:12 PM9/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Just as an FYI, there is now a branch on github that has support for the following:

  • Android Studio
  • Gradle
  • ActionBarCompat
  • Navigation Drawer

This is going to be the future of Android Bootstrap. I will be retiring the old codebase (ActionBarSherlock, Menu Drawer and Maven) in favor of this new codebase. The new branch currently builds, executes and runs all through Android Studio. There are a few issues at the moment though:

  • ViewPageIndicator items seem to be incorrect, this is probably a styling issue
  • Integration Tests are not working yet.
If you are interested in contributing by fixing these issues/etc, I'd really appreciate it.

Once these issues are resolved I will merge the changes INTO the master branch, update the docs and update the app generator on AndroidBootstrap.com and the app will be fully supported in Android Studio with Gradle and the Google supported libraries. Moving to this new architecture will allow me to close a bunch of outstanding tasks because of issues with Maven and Eclipse/etc. The new supported method will be "Open the app with Android Studio" and let Gradle handle it.

Why the move? Android is changing and so is the method in which components are built. Some frameworks are going to be unsupported eventually and working with the latest and greatest libraries and tools from Google makes the most sense in my opinion. If you don't agree with the direction of Android Bootstrap you're always free to fork it. :)

As always, if you have questions please let me know.

Donn

Ken Yee

Sep 24, 2013, 3:54:34 PM9/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Donn.
Was wondering how this was going since your twitter post.
I'll have a look at it and see if there's some way to get it to work w/ Eclipse' Gradle Plugin as well.  I haven't looked at Android Studio in a while (the early releases were too feature incomplete to be usable)-: so it's probably a good time to try it again too.

Donn Felker

Sep 24, 2013, 4:08:16 PM9/24/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

Excellent. :)

Rennie Petersen

Sep 25, 2013, 7:43:56 AM9/25/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
One question, and one suggestion ...

Q. Is this Android Studio 0.2.x you're talking about, or do you have access to something newer? Can you really recommend that people start using Android Studio for professional use at this point? (I just downloaded the Windows download, and it's difficult to feel confident about an exe file when Properties - Details says Product name: $(^Name).)

S. You should write a new book: "Android App + Open Source = Awesome". Probably best as an e-book that you can update every couple months, like what Mark Murphy has done, because being dependent on 15 open source components means the book will constantly be out of date. I would love to read a book like that, where you describe the various open source components you have chosen, and what they excel at and maybe what to avoid when mixing them all together.

Ken Yee

Oct 3, 2013, 9:47:54 PM10/3/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Using it with Eclipse' Gradle plugin was less painful than I thought :-)

You do an Import, then choose Gradle project and browse to the android bootstrap directory and put the checkbox on app and it'll pull it in.
You do have to right click the project properties and choose the Android category and set it to use the latest version of SDK you have installed.  I also had to switch the build.gradle to use SDK v.18.  I'd suggest adding the SDK version as an option to the automatic bootstrap builder website.

But it flags bogus errors in res/values/theme.xml.
It's pretty much exactly this issue:
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17856531/android-actionbarcompat-library

which in Eclipse is fixed by importing the appcompat library, then adding that to the project's library list.

Ken Yee

Oct 3, 2013, 10:37:36 PM10/3/13

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:47:54 PM UTC-4, Ken Yee wrote:
You do an Import, then choose Gradle project and browse to the android bootstrap directory and put the checkbox on app and it'll pull it in.
You do have to right click the project properties and choose the Android category and set it to use the latest version of SDK you have installed.  I also had to switch the build.gradle to use SDK v.18.  I'd suggest adding the SDK version as an option to the automatic bootstrap builder website.

I added docs on how to build w/ Eclipse and switched to ADT v.18 in the Pull Request I just sent.

Donn Felker

Oct 7, 2013, 12:21:04 PM10/7/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com

I'll try to check it out today. Thanks!

Asaf Shakarzy

Oct 16, 2013, 4:40:57 PM10/16/13
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Great enhancements,
I would like to start a new project and it seems like this is the way to go as it's much cleaner,

But the project still doesn't get compiled due to theme errors:

[INFO] /Users/asaf/data/dev/java/android/upstream/android-bootstrap/app/res/values/theme.xml:5: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@style/Theme.AppCompat'.
[INFO] /Users/asaf/data/dev/java/android/upstream/android-bootstrap/app/res/values/theme.xml:7: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'actionBarStyle'.
[INFO] /Users/asaf/data/dev/java/android/upstream/android-bootstrap/app/res/values/theme.xml:11: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@style/Widget.AppCompat.ActionBar.Solid'.
[INFO] /Users/asaf/data/dev/java/android/upstream/android-bootstrap/app/res/values/theme.xml:12: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name: attr 'background'.
[ERROR] Error when generating sources.
org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException:

Ken Yee

Oct 20, 2013, 10:49:48 PM10/20/13

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:40:57 PM UTC-4, Asaf Shakarzy wrote:
[INFO] /Users/asaf/data/dev/java/android/upstream/android-bootstrap/app/res/values/theme.xml:5: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@style/Theme.AppCompat'.

This means you don't have the latest compatibility library installed IIRC.

david andres

Mar 20, 2014, 11:12:34 PM3/20/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donn,

Is there any way to just build the app folder using android studio? right now android studio is building lots of files dependencies and its taking me 12 mins just to run the app.

thanks,