Great tool - how about ION / Sugar / GreenRobot EventBus?

Klaus Stadler

Apr 1, 2014, 10:14:45 AM4/1/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Android Bootstrap seems like a great base for new projects :)

Just a few parts that I'll probably change for my project, and I'd like to hear your opinion about them:
- https://github.com/koush/ion for HTTP, Download Management and Images instead of http-request
- https://github.com/satyan/sugar for ORM
- https://github.com/greenrobot/EventBus instead of Otto; though I'm not yet sure about this one

Just out of curiosity: Any chance one of these will make it into future versions of Android Bootstrap?

Best regards
Klaus

Donn Felker

Apr 5, 2014, 10:57:59 AM4/5/14
to android-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Klaus,

The http thing is heavily debated. It seems folks have their own favorite tool. I have not checked out ion yet. But we have volley, retrofit, okhttp, http-request, async-http and now ion to throw into the mix. It seems folks have their favorite.

For ORM, I'm definitely contemplating this. I just want to make sure that we can support HUGE lists that work with Cursors. I need to investigate more and we need to discuss more among everyone.

EventBus - I'm sticking with Otto at the moment. Its very easy to work with, but this should not be a hard thing to replace if you really enjoy EventBus. EventBus has some good features and some perf numbers that claim its much faster but until you're posting 1000 events at at time/etc its inconsequential. Basically I'm of the opinion that I feel you should use whats easy and fast now and then refactor later if you need to. Premature optimization is the devil.

Donn