SNAP:DRGN and VIAF

Gabriel Bodard

Aug 21, 2014, 9:38:18 AM8/21/14
to ancient...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

We’ve had a couple of meetings with Karen Smith-Yoshimura and Thomas
Hickey, of the *Scholars Contributions to VIAF* group
(http://oclc.org/research/activities/viaf-scholars.html), to discuss
possible collaborations, exchange of information, and mutual benefits
of sharing standards between the SNAP:DRGN project and VIAF (the
Virtual International Authority File <http://viaf.org/>, a federated
authority list of persons from library catalogs, mostly from author or
subject fields).

We considered two main questions:

1. What can SNAP:DRGN gain from VIAF data or formats? Most concretely,
what subset of VIAF person-records, and what fields in them, should we
consider ingesting into the SNAP graph?
2. How can VIAF benefit from SNAP:DRGN’s work in this area? In what
ways can SNAP provide data and information that might be passed back
to VIAF for inclusion in the authority file?

Preliminary answers and thoughts in a blog post at
<http://snapdrgn.net/archives/261>.

We'd be interested to know if any of you have any thoughts, or
questions, about how our ancient prosopographies and person
vocabularies could benefit from interoperability with, or contribute
to VIAF and other large datasets?

Cheers,

Gabby

--