Cutting Steel

Steve Kelly

Aug 17, 2013, 4:50:56 PM8/17/13
to amri...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know where I can cut 1/8" steel sheets at Rice?

Jordan Miller

Aug 18, 2013, 12:17:17 AM8/18/13
to amri...@googlegroups.com
what precision do you need? would a router do it or do you need waterjet?

jordan

On Aug 17, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Steve Kelly <kd2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know where I can cut 1/8" steel sheets at Rice?

Anderson Ta

Aug 18, 2013, 1:10:48 AM8/18/13
to Jordan Miller, amri...@googlegroups.com
Wait, so we have access to those things on campus?!

- Andy

John Yang

Aug 18, 2013, 7:49:57 AM8/18/13
to Anderson Ta, Jordan Miller, amri...@googlegroups.com
if you don't find resources on campus, you can always use a service like http://www.bigbluesaw.com/

John

Jordan Miller

Aug 18, 2013, 7:52:51 AM8/18/13
to amri...@googlegroups.com
naw I don't think either are available. but a router we could probably buy (dunno if we have room for another big work area but we could try to squeeze it in somewhere). a waterjet we will have to find somewhere.

but we need to establish what precision we need so that we can pick the right tool for the job. if we need 100 micron resolution then a router would be worthless; we'd need some kind of cnc.

jordan