ampl-cplex: ampl timing parameter misbehaving (version issue?)

philip....@gmail.com

May 16, 2016, 9:06:28 AM5/16/16
to AMPL Modeling Language
Hi there!

At my current place of employment, we sometimes use ampl to call cplex, but the server on which we do so often has a lot've competing compute-traffic, so it's hard to get clean estimates of real run-times, and I've been looking for ways to get more nearly traffic-independent measures. On the list of cplex options for ampl, I see that ampl's timing parameter has these options:

timing                 Whether to write times in seconds or "ticks" to
                       stdout or stderr: sum of
                           1 = write time in seconds to stdout
                           2 = write time in seconds to stderr
                           4 = write time in "ticks" to stdout
                           8 = write time in "ticks" to stderr
                          16 = write number of logical cores to stdout
                          32 = write number of logical cores to stderr.
                       Default = 0.

which would fit the bill perfectly; both the number of logical cores (expressed as an average-per-unit-time usage percentage of some kind, I'm assuming?)  and number of ticks would be great for us to have.

However, when I attempt to pass timing options to cplex, I get an error message indicating that timing only accepts values between 0 and 3. My suspicion is that this is because our ampl version appears to be ~5 years out of date; ampl -v at a terminal command-line prompt gives AMPL Version 20110909.

I've looked (quickly) through some of the past version updates I found for ampl and didn't see this change documented, but I was hoping someone more ampl-knowledgeable might be able to confirm for me that that's what's going on, so that I can justify requesting that we look into updating our installed ampl version.

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Philip Leclerc
Mathematical Statistician, United States Census Bureau

Robert Fourer

May 16, 2016, 10:41:12 AM5/16/16
to am...@googlegroups.com
There's a log of the changes to the AMPL-CPLEX interface at http://ampl.com/netlib/ampl/solvers/cplex/changes that shows this extension to the 'timing' option as being added in 2012:

20121117
cplex.c: add zerohalfcuts to the cuts simultaneously controlled
by mipcuts. Update to CPLEX 12.5: add keywords dettimelim,
polishafter_timedet, probetimedet, seed, and tunetimedet, and extend
timing keyword to allow requesting times in platform-specific "ticks",
which CPLEX computes in an unspecified way.

Bob Fourer
am...@googleroups.com

=======

philip....@gmail.com

May 16, 2016, 4:53:09 PM5/16/16
to AMPL Modeling Language, 4...@ampl.com
Exactly what I'd failed to find myself! Thanks for the pointer to the log of changes, and for specifically highlighting the one I needed, Bob.

Best,
Philip Leclerc
United States Census Bureau, Mathematical Statistician