AMPL student version installment

mia...@epfl.ch

Sep 7, 2011, 12:14:53 PM9/7/11
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I try to install AMPL student version in Linux. It just said can't
execute binary
files. I don't know why?
Thanks
All the best
Miao

Paul

Sep 7, 2011, 6:56:50 PM9/7/11
to am...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a silly question, but you got the Linux version of AMPL, not the Windows version, correct?  The Win version has file extension .exe; the Linux version has no file extension.  For the Linux version, all you need do is extract the archive and make sure both ampl and minos are executable (x flag set).

Paul

miao li

Sep 9, 2011, 5:57:07 AM9/9/11
to AMPL Modeling Language
Yes, I am sure I downloaded the Linux version and there are some of
the messages I got.

mili@lasapc36:~$ dir
ampl Desktop Documents Downloads examples.desktop Music Pictures
Public Templates Ubuntu\ One Videos
mili@lasapc36:~$ chmod +x ampl
mili@lasapc36:~$ ampl
bash: /usr/bin/ampl: cannot execute binary file

Bests,
Miao

Robert Fourer

Sep 12, 2011, 5:39:40 PM9/12/11
to am...@googlegroups.com
What result do you get from the Linux command "file ampl"? This tells you
the type of the file, which should be an executable of the kind (32-bit or
64-bit) appropriate to your installation. If not then the binary indeed
cannot be executed, and the next step would be to try downloading it again
-- there may have been a mistake or a corruption of the file.

Also I would try invoking AMPL with "./ampl" just to be sure you are
executing the right file.

Bob Fourer
4...@ampl.com

Paul

Sep 12, 2011, 7:20:51 PM9/12/11
to am...@googlegroups.com, 4...@ampl.com
Note that the command that triggered the error was 'ampl', not './ampl'.  I suspect there might be another file named 'ampl' in /usr/bin which is not the student version executable (which is apparently installed in the user's home directory).

Paul