Installing AMPL on a mac

Amro El-Adle

Sep 20, 2016, 9:50:51 AM9/20/16
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My name is Amro El-Adle, and I'm a PhD candidate at the University of
Massachusetts-Amherst. I am a teaching assistant for an undergraduate
course relying on AMPL for model development and optimization, and I
have been working to develop a guide for students to install the
software on their Mac computers. Specifically, I would like to have AMPL
installed with the ability to run from any directory. I have attached
instructions developed from a previous class, but unfortunately these
are no longer working.

Would you please let me know if there is an existing Google group with a
discussion on how to install the program and run from any directory? I
plan to post a video guide of the installation instructions to Youtube.
But I could really use some help!

Thanks very much.

Best,
Amro
Setting up AMPL in MAC.pdf

Robert Fourer

Sep 20, 2016, 12:37:51 PM9/20/16
to am...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amro,

The instructions from the previous class do not inspire a lot of confidence; in particular, if you type

cd Desktop
cd ampl
cd /usr/bin

then the third command overrides the first two. I suggest that you discard these instructions and instead use an approach like the following:

1. Download and unzip ampl_macosx64.zip, which will create a new folder on your computer. This will be your *AMPL Folder*. You can move it and rename it if you like.

2. Follow the instructions at http://ampl.com/products/ide/#MacOSX to add the AMPL IDE modeling interface to your AMPL folder. When the instructions are followed correctly, you will add one file to your AMPL folder -- named amplide and having a black cat's-head as its icon.

3. Double-click the amplide icon and follow the rest of the instructions at http://ampl.com/products/ide/#MacOSX to start up the AMPL IDE and begin working with AMPL.

The IDE offers a much nicer environment for Mac users than the Terminal window. In particular it provides an easy way to edit and use model and data files from any folder. Try this out yourself to see how it works. Then if you have questions, you can post them to this forum.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com