RE: [AMPL 13879] infeasible, no Basis, no primary variables returned

Message has been deleted

Robert Fourer

Apr 20, 2017, 9:40:30 AM4/20/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
The important message is "Gurobi 7.0.0: infeasible" which tells you that there are no feasible solutions to your constraints. You can ignore "No basis" and "No primal variables returned" which are just side-effects of the no feasible solution condition. (Since Gurobi determined that no feasible solution was possible, it couldn't return any basis statuses or primal variable values.)

AMPL also reports an error with one of your constraints:

=======
ampl: model anke.mod;

../anke.mod, line 64 (offset 2893):
d is undefined
context: subject to TageszentrumKundeVerknuepfung{b in B}: sum{i in B} >>> V[i,b,d] <<< = sum{q in Qb[b]} Omega[d,q]* H[b,q,Phi[d]];

../anke.mod, line 64 (offset 2919):
d is undefined
context: subject to TageszentrumKundeVerknuepfung{b in B}: sum{i in B} V[i,b,d]= sum{q in Qb[b]} >>> Omega[d,q] <<< * H[b,q,Phi[d]];

../anke.mod, line 64 (offset 2931):
d is not defined
context: subject to TageszentrumKundeVerknuepfung{b in B}: sum{i in B} V[i,b,d]= sum{q in Qb[b]} Omega[d,q]* >>> H[b,q,Phi[d] <<< ];
=======

You use the "d" in this constraint but it is not defined in the scope of the constraint; maybe you meant to index the constraint over {b in B, d in D}. Due to this error, these constraints were not included in the problem sent to the solver.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======

Apr 25, 2017, 7:51:05 PM4/25/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
If there is not any error in the data, the infeasibility may be due to an error in formulating the constraints. To track down the error it may help to look at an Irreducible Infeasible Subset of the constraints and variable bounds, as explained in

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ampl/o8aNfwpoBAc/D46d6cfICQAJ

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======

Apr 26, 2017, 9:34:47 AM4/26/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
There is an IIS option for Gurobi, too. See iisfind and iismethod in the Parameter Reference section of the AMPL-Gurobi Guide: http://www.gurobi.com/documentation/7.0/ampl-gurobi/parameters.html.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======

Apr 27, 2017, 10:36:49 AM4/27/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
To get more help with this problem, post the complete text of the messages that you received from the Gurobi solver.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======

Apr 27, 2017, 10:43:26 AM4/27/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
This is also explained in

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ampl/o8aNfwpoBAc/D46d6cfICQAJ

right at the end of the message.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======

Apr 28, 2017, 10:35:50 AM4/28/17
to am...@googlegroups.com
Since your problem is infeasible, you can ignore the "no basis" and "no variables" messages -- they do not indicate that anything is wrong.

Except for specifying gurobi_options instead of cplex_options, you should use exactly the instructions given in the link previously posted. They work just as well for Gurobi as for CPLEX. In particular to see the names of all the variables and constraints in the IIS, use the commands

display {i in 1.._ncons: _con[i].iis <> 'non'} (_conname[i],_con[i].iis);
display {j in 1.._nvars: _var[j].iis <> 'non'} (_varname[j],_var[j].iis);

To see explicitly each of the constraints in the IIS, use the command

for {i in 1.._ncons: _con[i].iis <> 'non'} expand _con[i];

The IIS gives you a relatively small subset of constraints and variable bounds that already have no feasible solution. This information may help you to locate the cause of the infeasibility. However, since you are the expert on your model, it is up to you to study the model and the IIS and to figure out *why* your constraints have no feasible solution.

Bob Fourer
am...@googlegroups.com

=======